Akai Rumours

Yeah, me too. That’s one of the few ”vintage” pieces I’d happily have back.

I don’t really enjoy arguing on the internet, quite the contrary. I just get tired of this old ”Well the MPC 2500 was the last good MPC! The new ones are just DAWs in boxes.” Personally I’d never trade the Live for any of the vintage MPCs with small monochrome screens and 3,5” disk drives. I’ve had most of them at one point or another. They were okay at the time but times are different now.

Peace out brother!

4 Likes

fixed that for you.

jkjk

In all reality if elektron had more DAW features they wouldn’t be elektron but they would take over half of akai’s marketshare, guaranteed.

3 Likes

Theres a new MPC Juno plugin in the pipeline too, and according to some info on MPC Forums, theres already new ‘stock’ plugins in the current firmware that haven’t been unlocked/opened up yet.

2 Likes

A brand new MPC Live 2 priced sample pack?!

It would be so dope if they did a collectors edition 2500, with more RAM, ghetto little synths, flash storage, Blue ray player and carbon fiber stickers.

On a serious note, a new APC would be so dope.

If they do a new MPC with added RAM, they are pretty much killing the current lineup.

1 Like

I can‘t wait to have my hopes disappointed!!!

9 Likes

Can’t wait for the drama, the tears and the rage.

After that happened we will just buy it.

4 Likes

I can’t wait to order my MPC/Sandwich toaster combination unit.

2 Likes

2 slices

14 Likes

Have there been any rumours of what to expect in software 3.0?

1 Like

Disk streaming but I think this has been rumored since they brought out the Live and X

4 Likes

I just heard a rumor which I also made up that it’s a youtube premium app for live and one, subscription based.

5 Likes

I have to say I had fun with my mpc and made some nice tracks on it, but I don’t regret selling it. It seems the only direction for them to go at this point (daw in a box) is more paid plugins etc. I think it is good for someone who literally just uses the mpc to make beats (paid stuff is going to be higher quality), but for me, who just used the mpc as part of a larger setup including a daw, it just doesn’t make sense to keep buying plugins that are tied to the mpc. And having to have it verify them via online connectivity was the final dealbreaker.

So my guess is the new thing is just more of the same, it kind of has to be at this point.

5 Likes

It has always been like this. Back when the MPC2000 came out, it was considered cold and crap compared to the MPC60 and the 3000. Then the 1000/2500 released, people claimed they sounded “cold and digital” compared to the MPC 2000. It’s always the same gimmick. People have a self preservation instinct, and in order to feel like what they own is valuable, the new gear has to be deemed “inferior”. This is especially true in the “hip hop” circles. People tried to convinced themselves that the “vinyl sim” on the SP303 was better than the one on the SP404, thus propping up used prices for the SP303 when it was the exact same algorithm on both devices and even if it was different it never justified $500 of difference…

It’s called “the hip hop tax”. Strangely, none of these MPC2000 lovers are willing to spend $1000 on a AKAI S2000, which has the exact same audio converters, and furthermore, a lot of these 90’s samplers from AKAI or EMU aren’t selling for much on the used market… this was never about sound…

10 Likes

It takes about ten years to get the nod that it is incredible… they do all sound a little different, and the new ones sound incredible. They sound very smooth yet have a very organic sound I really like. I always thought the new ones sound less cold and clinical then the last 1000/2500 ones… those had a very transparent dynamic sound.

1 Like

It is funny how all the features people ask for constantly from elektron and polyend stuff akai already has… yet for some reason they are a daw in a box… nevermind they all are about just as buggy yet nobody says near as much…

It is like nobody wants to admit just how good the mpc is… Like they cheated or something.

5 Likes

I also think it’s funny how you’re the only person who had facts about what “the rumor” probably is in regard to but everyone was more interested in doing the guessing game than paying attention to your post way up in the middle lol

nothing wrong with a good time though right?

I’m not saying that Elektron devices don’t have bugs - they do - but I’ve never had them shit out on me in a way that makes me think that I won’t be able to use them in a live performance. Meanwhile, every single MPC update breaks something crucial, and I honestly don’t know if I will be incorporating mine into my live setup even though it’s my centerpiece in the studio.

4 Likes

Mine had only done that when I had way more going on then I had any logical reason to be pushing it so hard… overall as long as I don’t have 30 tracks with eight plug ins that are each complicated… my live 2 retro had been rock solid.

2 Likes

Right… I realized I’m just some guy that is probably blowing hot air, so I understand people not listening to me… at least I told them and they heard it whether they wanted to believe it or not. Lol…
Plus, it is more fun to guess…

As a reminder, the current Akai range works perfectly fine even if you don’t buy any extra plug-ins. I have zero complaints with the sound or quality of the Mpc Live ii, and if needed you can just put the Mpc 60 or 3000 effect on a group or master, drive the volume and get some nice crunchiness.
The workflow could be better and some areas are underloved but for the way I use it it’s a great machine. You can use it as a Daw in a box if you want, but I think you would be missing the point, use a Daw if you want a Daw, use a sampler/sequencer ta sample and sequence.

And maybe read behind the marketing hype copy and look at it as just an evolution of the Mpc range. For better and sometimes worse, you can still see how this is build on top of the core Mpc functions.

9 Likes