Arturia KeyStep 37

Agree completely! Had the Pro, downsized to the keystep 37 to save a few bucks (half the price), and I got the perfect companion for live performances. The chord/scale/strum and ways to interact with them are such a godsend for me who spent way more time tweaking knobs than playing keyboards. It feels like cheating, but hey, got lotsa pots to twiddle anyway. Now i sound nicer faster. Big win, thanks Arturia.

5 Likes

I wish Arturia would make a keystep with 8 parameter buttons for Analog Lab and other use

I have a Keystep and a Keystep 37 and a Keylab Essential 49, had to buy a Native Instruments M32 for Komplete too. Thatā€™s 3 small midi keyboards to do slightly different jobs. But I guess itā€™s all about limiting features to just enough to make people want them without giving them everything.

1 Like

This right here.
I love using the variations on the arpeggiator as well. And that strum function at different speeds can be so nice.

2 Likes

What are your workflows with strum and/or scales. I canā€™t seem to get much use from them.

1 Like

I would try playing around with chords while the scale is active, since almost every note pressed gives a different result, even if it would play the same note while not in chord mode. Afterward, strum is icing in the cake, I use it to bring diversity to the performance, since it brings a totally different vibe than the straight chords. You can also look at it as a one shot arpeggios that you control the spped and direction. Really effective live.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s about how I use it with live record mode on my MC. You can get some cool results.

Similarly picked up to fill the gap until it comes out.

I owned a KSP but sold it to pay some bills, I needed something more complex than the KS (and hate the micro USB connector), might re-examine the KSP after the next big firmware release but this fits a nice niche!

2 Likes

Forgot to update so thanks for the reminder! I have the K37 now and itā€™s just so useful that itā€™s become an essential part of the studio furniture. Highly recommend it.

3 Likes

Yeah, there are oddly so few smaller controllers that as tuned in design these days.

I own the CME Xkey Air and owned the QuNexus / Nanokey and while there are great options for using with tablet/computer and portability, not so much for hardware.

Anyone who can tell me if the KS37 sequencer and chord/scale functions add something to the digitone?
Iā€™m looking for a small midikeyboard and I try to decide to buy a Yamaha reface (great keybed and extra voices only no mod wheel) or the KS37. Because the autochannel of the DN works quitte nice for scales and playing chords with a external keyboard. Arps are covered too with DN. Am i missing something?

Never really use the sequencer just because I prefer the internal one on DN.

I do use the arp from the keystep a lot though. Itā€™s really nice with all the different modes that the DN doesnā€™t have. Love the ā€˜patternā€™ mode to come up with semi random ideas.

3 Likes

It offers arp on midi channels, and the randomizations are clever.
The capability to expend the number of notes in a chord with the velocity is nice, very interactive.
And you have many different chords + scales, itā€™s a bit better than DN in this regard.

I donā€™t use DN scales much, on KS37 itā€™s very quick to setup or check.

3 Likes

Very helpful thx

1 Like

i hope someone can answer me this question regarding the anti ground noise loop adapter.
if i connect the computer part to the computer and the power part to the power box, will the controller still be powered if there is no juice coming from power outlet?

If it was the case, there would be no use for the adapter since the purpose is to seperate the power from the data. So the answer to your question is no :wink:

3 Likes

what i basically hoped for whas that i could use the keyboard in a hybrid setup:

1. via midi and power usb to my dawless setup
  2. if there is no juice coming from the power usb receive it from the ā€œnormalā€ data usb from the pc.

this would enable me to not plug and unplug things

BUT another solution for this would be to buy a separate PSU for this

I had similar considerations for my KS37.
I bought an inexpensive multi jack and multi voltage psu that is able to deliver 3 A regardles itā€™s voltage setting. I hope I can use it for anything that needs 5 to 15 V and up to 3 A.

Size of box vs contents (Bax edition)

Pretty sure my wife thought Iā€™d bought an extra Christmas tree

4 Likes

As far as this goes, itā€™s not like most of us are lacking in PSUs.

Mine came with one.

1 Like