Arturia KeyStep 37

On my regular Keystep I can dim the LEDs from the software.

yes, on the regular keystep you can do it, on 37 - no :see_no_evil:
it seems like they dont have budget to release a new update unless theres a huge bug.

Oh wowā€¦ didnā€™t realize. Good to know!

1 Like

yeah, itā€™s honestly a shame you canā€™t do it as they are stupidly bright. i also really wish theyā€™d give us an option to make the chord function work pre-sequencer. in the OG keystep, you were able to come up with chord progressions using the chord memory function and recording different chords into the sequencer. this is not possible anymore as the chord function on the 37 applies the 1 chord you have selected to all the notes in the sequence. i honestly think itā€™s a massive downgrade in terms of how it used to function :confused:

1 Like

my understanding is the sequencer is, yet again, slightly different on the Keystep Pro. is that accurate? that they are not consistent across the KS line?

iā€™m about to start scripting a project for a BSP (and apparently that sequencer is slightly different yet again) that will eventually involve a KSP or KS37. its not for me, so i wouldnt be buying this stuff, but wanna make sure i get the correct one if they are different.

as far as the lighting goes a few of you mention, so far all of arturiaā€™s sysex messages for setup have been consistent across all of their devices. meaning the sysex to set encoder 1 is the same for the BSP, KSP, MiniLab, etcā€¦ so if you can see the sysex in the programming software it sends to the KS to dim/set the LEDs, it might be the same for the KS37, even though its not an option.

4 Likes

All i have heard is that there was a different design team on the KS37 than the KSP. Itā€™s hard to determine from so far outside how much code is shared or unique between the two.

Iā€™m referring to functionality. The code part Iā€™m not to worried about. Thatā€™s easily sniffed out.

would be cool to try if this works.
if someone has both OG and 37 keysteps.

Hereā€™s the 2 resources Iā€™ve been using. Itā€™s was a few years ago since I tried it last, but I was programming a MiniLab II with these sysex strings:

Really what your looking to send to the KS37 to try is:
F0 00 20 6B 7F 42 02 00 xx xx xx F7
xx xx xx = whatever MidiControlCenter sends to the original KS

At least Iā€™d try this before looking at screwdrivers, soldering irons and resistorsā€¦

1 Like

i have managed to find only this http://klinkerdin.com/docs/KeystepSysEx.pdf
it looks like its a sysex dump from before brightness controll was rolled out so no luck :confused:

Not a total loss. That confirms all you need is the xx xx xx. Everything else is the same. Someone just needs to sniff it out from MCC
Iā€™d be skeptical if it will work, but it seems the same base code is being used across all their devices for quite a while. Itā€™s possible they just comment out the code they donā€™t want used or something, instead of outright removing it.

Edit: I wouldnā€™t be surprised if itā€™s 41 xx xx considering how little features there are on it. You might be able to brute force it at this point.

1 Like

ill see if i can find someone who can do that.
and yeah im sceptical too. this is already more effort than opening it up but maybe it can benefit a lot of people :+1:

Thereā€™s a section on brightness that may shed some lightā€¦beginning format isnā€™t the same tho

Have you opened yours up yet? If so, did you take any pictures? I trying to find pics on the 37ā€™s innards. Iā€™m sure itā€™s almost identical to the KS and KSP, but Iā€™m really looking for ribbon connectors on the mlb from the keyboard.

yes i did, and i will again because single layer of white ducktape was not enough.
once i find a better material to use for blocking light ill take pictures and drop em here.

david_caruso_sunglasses_yeeaaaaahhhhh.tiff

Iā€™m thinking of upgrading to a 49/64 key keyboard but really love Keystep 37 strum mode for chords. Is there any other keyboard (probably from Arturia?) that also has this mode?

Does someone know if its possible to power the Keystep 37 with an iPhone charger? Iā€™m tired of having to power it with my computer.

1 Like

Yes you can

2 Likes

Thanks will test it right away!

1 Like