Arturia Minifreak - 6-voice hybrid synth with 37 keys and FX engine

theres also the fact that its got a processor and other computer elements to it. But yeah, even at $200 it kinda devalues the hardware in a way. But in general, when working in the studio, hardware isn’t nearly as important. When using a device live it would be convenient to have an all in one device.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I wanted this VST much more when I couldn’t have it!

3 Likes

Hi was just wondering can the MiniFreak send Arp or Chords / Scales via midi

Thanks

Any digital synth is essentially a VST + controller.

All Turing machines are equivalent.

2 Likes

Yup, I’ve done it in Ableton successfully.

1 Like

Nah…its a standalone synth and 1 to 1 controller for the hardware.

Use the hardware for whimsy, use the VST for dedicated projects.

Though, when I saw the VST update today- I was really hoping for some optimization in the release notes. Maybe for 1.1

Thxs

This is important, and what a lot of people are missing with the “oh, this is just a subset of Pigments” comments. Sure, you could probably get close to some sounds using Pigments’ toolset, but you’d be much less likely to stumble across them, and you wouldn’t be able to tweak them the same way without even more macro setup.

That’s why MiniFreak V actually makes a lot of sense as a part of the V Collection, because that’s what the V Collection is all about. Software versions of gear that, by nature of being gear, is naturally more limited than a flagship VST like Pigments, but offers meaningfully different ways of working that can send you down a sonic path you might not otherwise take.

Has anyone tested the Minifreak’s abilities with MIDI Program Change? Does it play well with Elektron gear? (In my case, DIgitakt)

Asking this because the Microfreak was well-known to be a very speedy device at responding to PC over MIDI.

I’ve no problem with that, but if the VST can be had for $50, that suggests to me that the hardware is a bit overpriced at $550 or whatever the difference is in this case. It is what it is, I guess.

1 Like

I’d say the low price of the VST is a loss leader to sell hardware units.
I’ve picked up MiniFreak V today and I’m already pretty certain I’ll get the synth now.

Being able to work on sound design on my laptop and transfer that to hardware to play with is too tempting to pass up on…

I wish I had more instruments like this… imagine having access to the Digitone like this?

4 Likes

Except there’s no loss since it’s software. :blush: But I get your point, this could draw people in more than it leaves people devaluing the hardware.

I agree, the hybrid thing is a killer feature. I’m sure it will become the norm within a few years.

My GAS is contained for now though. I had to remind myself just how little I used the Hydrasynth after all, it wasn’t like the DAW workflow was the main issue (and I was recording it into the MPC after all).

With my recent crush on my Syntakt, I’m back in groovebox land again and would rather pair it with the MC-101 for some lush pads than a relatively massive and singletimbral Minifreak. :blush:

1 Like

$50 is the sale price for bundle owners. For non-bundle owners it’s $99. When the sale is over it will be $199. Perhaps that makes it feel better?

Software pricing is weird so I wouldn’t put much stock in the comparison. Some version of MS Windows can probably be had for around $199 and that has WAY more effort put into it than any audio plugin. Economies of scale and all that…

4 Likes

Hi

Just a quick question do you think because of the release of the plugin this could push the price of the Minifreak hardware down

As I’m in the market to buy one but wondering shall I wait a bit or buy now

What do u guys think?

Thanks

20 years ago, when hardware was the only way to get most sounds, yes. Today, in a world where hardware versus in-the-box is mostly a matter of personal preference, no.

No. I actually bought the hardware because of the tight integration with the plugin. This was a main selling point for me.

So this only makes the market bigger. And demand higher.

1 Like

No price isn’t going to drop any time soon, if you didn’t notice we’re deep into an inflation circle, if anything the price IS going to increase.

Furthermore, no price is going to drop because there is a plugin. There are multiple Juno 106 vst, the price didn’t drop because of that. Otherwise why would you want the hardware for yourself and a plugin for everybody else?

The hardware supply will always be limited while the plugins are infinite by definition. If anything it’s the plugin price that is going to drop while the hardware price is going to increase.

1 Like

OK thxs

1 Like

Last year I spent more than 6 months hesitating between the purchase of a Dread Typhon or a Microfreak. I finally decided to buy the Typhon and I’m very happy. This Typhon is incredible. I love the filter and the effects.
Last month I’ve got a 500€ award from my company and decided to buy the Minifreak. It has all what made me exclude the Microfreak from my last year choice: a classical keyboard, the multitimbral capability, the effects,… This little synth is able to make the ambiant sound and sequences I like. It pairs very well with the Typhon and my MPC One. The only downside for me is the analog filter. I found it very ordinary. Nothing comparable to the Typhon one which is so organic and deep. But the Minifreak is very creative in an easy way. I’m very happy with it.

4 Likes

I think the Typhon and Minifreak complement each other very well, so good choice :wink:

But, tell me more about multitimbrality of the Minifreak? I think it is monotimbral, right?