Arturia Minifreak - 6-voice hybrid synth with 37 keys and FX engine

I meant polyphonic. Sorry.

1 Like

I bought the VST for 49€ and played with it for 3 hours yesterday.
I found it quite interesting, and easier to use than pigment with this weird UI which make me fully lost.
The UI design is important for me, when there is too much functionality on the screen I can be lost, and here they have done a good job making things easy to figure out.

Mini freak looks to be a good hardware synth, but I would not buy it because small key and not lots of octave. So I’m happy that a VST is release here.

For now…
I can see an update in the near future that can split the two oscillators across note ranges

1 Like

Yea agreed on all points. I love it. A great UI that is immediately inviting but on a synth with lots of possibilities.

Between Opsix + Modwave native and Minifreak V, it’s probably going to push me to sell off more hardware.

1 Like

And MIDI channels!

1 Like

I have never liked ITB but I heard the Minifreak, loved it and bought the VST. Now I’m thinking of selling most hardware and using Ableton for multiple Minifreak channels. Just so good.

1 Like
1 Like

Does anyone have an inside scoop on whether Arturia will release this as a desktop module? They aren’t really known for that are they.

Wonder if anyone has sawn off the keys like I’ve seen with Minilogue XD, Modsix, and Subphatty. :thinking:

2 Likes

I just buckled and ordered one.
Impatiently waiting for delivery on monday…

1 Like

My MiniFreak arrived yesterday, and it is all I hoped it would be and even more than that!

I was already a happy user of the microfreak and was excited by the extra possibilities the bigger brother offers. I’ve been playing around with it for the best part of the night; here my first impressions and a patch idea:

First impressions

• Solidly built unit, more so than its smaller sibbling.
  • Minikeys feel much better than expected: bigger thamn I thought and with a feel that surpasses many a full size synth keybed that I’ve played.
  • The FX are good. It’s just a bit weird that the available types per slot seem to vary with time. The reverb is not always available in slot 1, but after changing slots a few times it sometimes is. Probably a fixable firmware-thingy.
  • Touch strips and -buttons are responsive and work fine.
  • The sequencer is intuitive, and very easy and inspiring to play with.
  • Short cuts to specific module settings limit menu diving and list scrolling.

Things standing out to me

• When recording knob-motions the sequencer stores offsets in stead of actual knob values. This makes that a knob is still functional after motion sequencing it.
  • Not clearly labeled in the manual: by holding a step and playing another note, sequences can be edited while playing. This goes for the velocity too, as well as the motion-sequence lanes.
  • The macro’s are easily assignable and provide cool morphing capabilities.
  • The mod matrix is an intuitive and fast way to create complex modulations without menu diving.
  • Key-follow source in the mod matrix can be configured to be another random source.
  • Easy to initialize a patch or parts of a patch.
  • Dim-function for bright white UI-leds :slight_smile:

Patch idea: DFAMming on a MiniFreak
I thought about recreating the DFAM-experience on my MiniFreak and had quite some fun with the following:

• Set step seq to 8 steps
  • Record 8 notes of the same pitch into seq
  • Sequence macro 1 and macro 2 on the first two modulation lanes
  • Disable motion sequence smoothing (!)
  • Use LFO1 in oneshot mode as pitch envelope
  • Osc 2 can be FM-osc to emulate dfam-fm
  • Use macro-assign to assign destinations to your 2 mod-sequences
  • Macro 1 should control pitch, Macro 2 should control osc level(s) or control the vca by amount 100. Other macro destinations can be added to taste.
  • Let the sequence play, use “mod” function to edit the modulation lanes while sequence is playing and twist the knobs.

–> the macro-sliders can still be used to create offsets!

Have fun!

BTW: I also changed around the knob caps, so the knobs that cause a dramatic/stepped change to the sound are now clearly marked. The tempo encoder is now nicely distinguished from the env controls. Looks quite balanced to my eyes :slight_smile:

[edits for correcting typo’s and minor additions/clarifications]

13 Likes

Mine is coming too!
I loved the Microfreak so I’m sure I’ll love this!!!

2 Likes

I wish there was a Minifreak as Desktop version, as an additional sound module for my Syntakt :stuck_out_tongue:
And the case of the Minifreak doesn’t look like this is possible:

LINK: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/mgdzeo/i_did_the_remove_the_keyboard_from_the_microfreak/ & 4 Microfreak 3D-Druck-Modelle

(I do love the Micro’s keyboard though! But I just don’t play keyboard, don’t use an apreggiator … I just want to sequence.)

… because, … I actually think about getting back a Microfreak. I stumbled upon stuff I did with Karplus and it sounds so amazing.

4 Likes

Microfreak is amazing and not being a keyboard player I even loved the ‘keys’ ,so super expressive!

2 Likes

After having the mini for a week (have the micro as well) I’m still very much in love with it.

It has the same deep, “modular in a box”-feel as the micro, with vastly extended possibilities and still the inviting (playful?) interface like it was a korg esx/emx.

I just wish it would have a 3 octave touch-keyboard in micro-freak style…

1 Like

Is it possible to record a currently playing arp to the sequencer?? I’ve read the manual and haven’t found an answer to this.

Yes, keep “record” pressed.

2 Likes

Easy

It arrived!
It sounds exactly as I expected and I love how many frogs there are on this French synth…

2 Likes

Also, that reverb…

3 Likes

I’m thinking of buying one of these any day now (so don’t actually have one yet), but I recall reading something about the way the effects are structured. I think the reason you’re seeing this may be down to the way you can choose any effect for any slot, but you cannot have the same effect in more than one slot at a time (or so I’ve heard).

Like if you were to put an EQ in slot one for example, it will no longer be available to select in slot two or three.

1 Like