Black Friday purchases

Some sample packs and a couple of D16 effect plug-ins. And a Native Instruments effect.

I believe the last MoogFest happened around April 2019. If I could have afforded the $1699 at the time I probably would have bought it at that time.

I ordered the Matriarch from Detroit Modular using their 10% off code - Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal - and received it yesterday. I did not feel it was worth waiting until April 2021 or whenever the next MoogFest will be.

• Ableton 11 upgrade
  • Gullfoss
1 Like

More of an early X-mas present, but took advantage of BF discounts so: SSL2+ interface. Which also comes with some fairly high-end SSL plugins right now, win-win.

Speaking of plugins, also took advantage of those crazy iZotope specials, and also picked up one from Valhalla (regular cheap price).

Pretty awesome eh?

2 Likes

Santa delivers them on Thursdayā€¦canā€™t wait to get them hooked up! I think theyā€™ll sound much better in my small space than the JBLā€™s, which were nice but too big, and I could never get them far enough away from the wall to do any kind of usable mixing. Hoping the iLouds will be more like the Genelec 8010As I used to have and which were dead easy to mix on. Obviously, the Genelecs are Genelecs, but if the iLouds can still be an accurate mixing tool for $500 less, Iā€™ll be ecstatic. Do you use yours for mixing?

2 Likes

As someone with little experience working with cv/gate signals, the 4 outs on the A4 as arenā€™t going to be enough for a small system like the pico? It seemed like a good combo.

I gave in and picked up the uno drum. Will likely grab a Keystep 37 as well.

1 Like

The Matriarch was $1699 everywhere in the states during the month when moogfest was supposed to happen this year back in spring (also coincided with the announcement of the subharmonicon). The promotional price was for about an entire month at all major retailers.

I bought external Thunderbolt 3 ssd. It is even 2-3 times quicker than internal ssd of MacBook Pro.
But expensive. Samsung x5 512gb for 180 euro. Actually for the same money you can buy 1tb with usb3, but usb3 disks are 5 times slower than thunderbolt 3.

I went a bit crazy and bought:

• Expressive E Touche ā€“ Iā€™ve wanted one for ages; Iā€™m no keys player but want to add some
    more expressivity/feel for my music . Such a nice piece of hardware, and should work well for my hardware synths (especially A4ā€™s macros) as well as software
  • Bitwig Studio ā€“ I normally use Logic but fancied a change, plus I watched a MATTHS livestream where he was using it and it seems so slick, love thet everything is modulatable. I think Iā€™ll probably keep Logic for final arrangement/mix/mastering, but Bitwig should spark some ideas!
  • Ozone 9 Advanced ā€“ I have 8 Elements, but the extra control/features plus a decent upgrade price were appealing.
  • Trackspacer ā€“ Already using it in a project. Super easy to use dynamic mixing tool, very cool.
  • Sonarworks Reference 4 ā€“ my room is untreated and probably quite bad acoustically, this should help. Now just need to buy a mic cable so I can plug in the mic!
3 Likes

Mixing and recording, great so far. Not a lot of low end below 60-70hz so be aware of that. But amazingly accurate midrange and high end for the price!

1 Like

Specs

iLoud Micro Monitor Specifications

• Frequency response (-10dB): 45Hz - 22kHz
1 Like

Itā€™s that -10db you have to watch out for :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I could not afford to spend $1699 at the time.

I bought a free plugin :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

thanks yeah the Clep Diaz is wacky fun- a cross between an LFO, sequential switch and step sequencer in small HP. I use clock from Pamela New Workout to it and reset LFO from Batumi. Breathes life into patches.

1 Like

Well, hopefully they put the Matriarch on sale again next spring during moogfest. Also, if you contact retailers directly, 15% off could be had at many places, bringing it down to the $1699 price. I did just that yesterday, and was able to get a Matriarch Dark for $1699, no tax free shipping. Worth a shot. Good luck!

Frequency response doesnā€™t tell the whole story. Neumann kh80s have the same response but hear how different they sound:

2 Likes

Congrats on the deal that you found.

I already own a Moog Matriarch, so I donā€™t need to shop for another one.

There is a definite difference here between the soundstage presentation and ā€œopenessā€ of the soundā€¦ but I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s a 3x $ difference :slight_smile:

Doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m not GASing on some white Neumanns thoā€¦

1 Like