Chase Bliss effects pedals

Cheers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just popping in to say how excited I am for the Mood MK2. The Mood is the only pedal I have, and think Iā€™ll ever need. Two main gripes though were mono and the added noise was a nuisance sometimes. Excited they addressed these and added so much more functionality.

Iā€™ve been tempted by other CB pedals, mainly the Thermae and Habit but the Mood has just been so much fun I could never justify them.

6 Likes

Mood MKII Field Guide

There are so many cool functions outlined in this manual. Iā€™m excited for some of the hidden options that make it more customizable, along with the tutorials sprinkled throughout that guide you through some of the new functions.

1 Like

Surprisingly my MOOD MK1 sold within hours.

I was completely expecting to sit on it for ages as I bit the bullet for the MKII fairly quickly (roughly 2 hours after launch, order 11114).

But Chase Bliss pedals have been remarkably few and far away on the second hand market here in Montreal, so I advise people that want to sell their MK1ā€™s to at least float an ad out there, you might be surprised.

Anyways, expecting the MKII anxiously.

5 Likes

I pulled the trigger as have been planning on grabbing a glitchy pedal for a while. Iā€™ve been eyeing up stretch weaver / strands but wasnā€™t quick enough with either.
It was between this and particle 2, but I confess the aesthetic of the Mood 2 swayed me. I think having beautiful looking things in oneā€™s studio can be inspirational in itself, this little box looks lovely to me.
(plot twist, iā€™ll almost certainly grab a p2 as well at some point)

2 Likes

714 Likes, 24 Comments - Matt Lowery (@mattlowery) on Instagram: "MOOD 2 has landed in OKC, and itā€™s well-deserving of all your hype and hope. Have you preordere..."

714 Likes, 27 Comments - Matt Lowery (@mattlowery) on Instagram: "A few folks asked what Mood Mk2 sounds like through Generation Loss Mk2, and the scientific concl..."

These vids are really hyping me up.

Edit: I donā€™t know why theyā€™re not being posted as links, but if you just search for mattlowry on Instagram.

2 Likes

same, and they suggest there is still more to come. The recent IG post covering the ability to pitch loops via MIDI teased further developments - intrigued!

1 Like

Update: picked up a MIDI-to-TRS via designacable (reputable eBay UK custom cable seller Iā€™ve used for lots of things): no luck, freaking out the Habit currently with OT MIDI Out and not in a good way hah. Will mess with some settings before probably just importing the Disaster Area one.

Me too! I can imagine integrating it into my Octatrack setup- playing guitar or synth into the Mood and having the OT send it midi notes that correspond to the current pattern. Depending how that works, it could be a really great companion for live use.

I just bought a similar cable from a company out of Bend, OR, US. I havenā€™t received mine yet, but I went in with the assumption that it wouldnā€™t work. If thatā€™s the case, I can still use my converter box from Chase Bliss, but itā€™s a shame that CB doesnā€™t just use a regular midi to trs signal. I hate having to use an extra box that needs power just to make CB pedals work with midi.

2 Likes

Agreed. its a pity you need a midibox or a Disaster Area DIN -> TRS cable (which is also around 40 bucks and not available everywhere. Or are there other ways?

I had a MIDI cable made by a local guy according to this diagram that worked flawlessly:

7 Likes

Weird, I though MIDI used 3 pins :thinking:
We would use TS jacks, otherwise, wouldnā€™t we?

Itā€™s a conspiracy for Big Pin to make more money off our GAS. ā€¦or something

I know the case above could be different, cause there are two standards (or, well, none) for TRS to MIDI.
But here is what I found on midi.org

Shield should definitely be plugged to PIN 2.
But I would think you should have the TRS tip to PIN 4, in your schema, @theartistisirrelevant. Donā€™t you?

Itā€™s not my scheme, I donā€™t understand the first thing about it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I got it originally from Paul at Chase Bliss when I asked what kind of cable I should use for blooper.

1 Like

The device that is sending Midi needs to send ā€žpoweredā€œ midi (donā€™t know the correct term). My microcosm wasnā€™t able to do that. My Pirate Midi Bridge4 is.

Just posting this in case you are not aware: Chase Bliss pedals use a unique wiring for MIDI on their TRS input, where the signal is carried on ring and sleeve, leaving tip floating. Regular MIDI -> TRS cables (both kinds) do not work for these pedals.

They do it that way because the same jack also accepts analog tap-tempo with a TS plug.

2 Likes

Oh, you mean that instead of choosing one of the two existing configuration, they went for a third? And one that makes no sense to me.
The day after I bought myself some new cablesā€¦
Nice.

3 Likes

To be fair, Chase Bliss has used the same standard for all their pedals since 2016. Itā€™s not a new thing. Their way of handling it makes sense in the world of guitar where MIDI support is a secondary concern. The design makes it possible to plug a simple tap switch right into the jack.

You can make your own cable or buy a Midibox from Chase Bliss or Disaster Area. The box is nicer if you have more than one pedal.

Since this thread has a general kind of Chase Bliss vibe, I got inspired and recorded this little thing from my piano, through some of my Chase Bliss pedals, the Mood being one of them - itā€™s all one take, recorded into the TX-6 through a Generation Loss MKII and a Mood -

5 Likes