Chase Bliss & Meris CXM 1978 - a reverb, that is

I should start a blog or something :blush:

A diary format for reviews or such.

2 Likes

You should!

This whole thread inspired me to buy a used old boss Dd3 delay pedal , £70 :grinning:

1 Like

Got about five demos done for an EP I’m working on. I’m thinking of getting one stereo fx unit for color and one for overall master character. This one for color, a Boum for master.

Or not. Could be I’m already good on the sound.

Or not :blush:

1 Like

this only triggered my OT black gas

The CXM 1978 looks beautiful but I feel like anyone looking at this should take a close look at Oto Bam as well. You could get that and a Meris Mercury 7 for around the same price as the 1978. 🤷

2 Likes

Yeah, and I’m really starting to like what I’m hearing from Oto machines in general. Feels like a sound I could get into.

2 Likes

Bam sounds gorgeous but can dirty up nicely with the input gain, and the analog filters with damping control allow for a great variety between bright and dark verbs. All algorithms sound great, as does the “pass through” mode, which gets you a nice 16-bit conversion through the filters.

CXM 1978 clearly has some other things to offer and I haven’t looked too closely due to the price, but I feel unless you’re really into motorized faders it’s worth looking at Bam for something that can also provide a good mix of pristine and grungy reverbs.

On another note, I’ve been looking at the Chase Bliss Dark World to use in my mono effects chain…

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll consider this moving forward. Most likely, I won’t buy anything. There’s enough going on inside my Prophet 12 and Blackbox for atmosphere than I can handle anyway. And the SiX does the job of opening things up nicely.

But as evening falls, I tend to have my weakest hours when it comes to resisting new gear, and it’s close to 0700PM here now and very dark outside …

An effective GAS-reducer for me is thinking about how I will have to pack the item, take it to the post office, Fedex, or UPS… if the item I bought was not to my liking.

I dislike frequent visits to package shipping companies and the like.

2 Likes

The CXM 1978 does sound great, but the fact that the sound cuts when you change presets is a real shame. Especially with the motorised faders - how nice it would be if the sound semi-seamlessly morphed from one preset to the next.

3 Likes

Yes, that would be quite something.

I love my reverb pedals, and I own a bunch of the chase bliss pedals, but the price of this is beyond the pale.

A shootout of reverb pedals. CXM 1978 is one of them.

3 Likes

I think they liked it

Aside from the fact that this has some really beautiful character it must be one of the most performable reverbs out there. Most of the Strymon etc. stuff albeit wonderful, seem to be more of “set and forget” sort of effects.
Sold a ton of eurorack and ordered one of these couple of weeks ago. It should be here pretty soon and I can´t remember waiting for any piece of gear quite this intensely before.

The only problem I have with the 1978 judging by the demo videos is the cutting off of the reverb when switching tank modes, hopefully that will be fixed in the future fw updates.

3 Likes

I’m not being a grouch, but what makes this more performable? Is it which functions are presented on the faders? I don’t see how faders are any more or less performable than a pedal with regular old rotating pots.

1 Like

It seems to me that the motorised faders with the ability to instantly recall your presets, the cross-over function and separate decay times for mid and low freqs really offer some musical possibilities not found on other reverb pedals that I´m aware of. Also the pre-delay functionality with different modes brings about cool warbling and melting effects, SRR etc…

All in all its just asking to be tweaked on the fly and very likely that has been taken to account when they were designing it.

I see it as an instrument almost as much as an effect.

4 Likes

Nobody went for it?
:innocent:

I watched a video on instagram of someone using it with its parameters p-locked, faders going absolutely nuts! I was attracted to the motorized fader feature until I saw that video, looked extremely fucking annoying! It was actually nightmarish!

2 Likes

I actually had one in sight a few weeks ago, found one within the EU. They’re all out here otherwise.

But I reminded myself once again, I don’t really need a reverb. Especially not one that costs about 1,000 Euro.

But it keeps haunting me. Something about its tone …