Chase Bliss & Meris CXM 1978 - a reverb, that is

Link plz

It was just when I was browsing, no idea who the video was from. Open instagram and type cxm1978 in the search, you’ll find more than one in motion and I’m sure that person had tagged their video. It was seriously nuts, I’ve seen boards with motorized faders that change when a different preset is loaded and they all snap up into place, kinda freaky, but these were going crazy like it was possessed! I guess the feature is cool for changing patches and seeing the patch instantly represented on the faders, as long as it can be turned off so they aren’t dancing all around when actually using it and locking parameters from an Elektron device or whatever.

2 Likes

I don´t have an IG account so thats why I asked for a link. I can imagine it getting annoying though. Hopefully there will be a way to disable the motorized faders when MIDI controlled.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK1nA20Bfbh/

I agree, that’s creepy.

5 Likes

I´m not gonna lie that is kinda creepy. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the link.

On the Chase Bliss user group for sure.

1 Like

the guy said he was about to do a review of the unit.

It seems that the algos provide nice sweeping/transition effects while changing parameters , especially predelay wich make it very desirable for live tweaking and automation. i can’t think of something similar in other reverbs, but i have only ableton, fabfilter and valhalla vintageverb. OTO reverb maybe, any other examples?

At least for live-tweaking, I find the faders (which have almost no resistance whatsoever) are difficult to handle with precision and easy to knock out of position, especially an adjacent fader. If you want to sweep from min to max, okay, but if you’re aiming for some spot in between, it’s a lot harder.

2 Likes

yeah good point…agreed.
any idea for an other reverb that is playable?

On that delay - what can it actually do? Is it just a hidden trick, or is there a good enough delay hidden in there?

There are many reverbs that have loads of knobs – people did just fine “performing” with these in the past. If you prefer faders, most of the “big box” reverbs accept MIDI and have their controls mapped to it. (Or you could map a controller to the reverbs in Ableton or Valhalla.)

3 Likes

I tried, valhalla vintage verb which is great but live parameter changes does not sound good (at least with my setup). transitions are not insanely smooth.

also tried fabfilter pro R and it was not very sexy while live tweaking. no sweeping or likable artifacts.

i believe this is just that they are not made to be used like that

1 Like

There’s not really an additional delay. When the pedal is in lo-fi mode, the pre-delay can function as a delay, but its scope is fairly limited. So, I guess it’s a “hidden trick” (I’m not sure about the taxonomy here).

FWIW, I was not wowed by this pedal. There are plenty of people who were, but I do not think it is sonically magic at some level that takes it above offerings by other companies. Unless you have some automated fader fetish (or believe that CBA can do no wrong, as some do), you can find plenty of high-quality reverbs that are different, but by no means lesser, elsewhere, for a much more reasonable price.

Just one person’s opinion, but I’ve used… most of the major reverb pedals on the market, at one point or another.

1 Like

I like the Meris Mercury7. It does have some “hidden” parameters, but i feel i get a long way with tweaking the decay. And you have lo and high frequency decay as well.

But everything can be controlled via midi if you have the correct DIN to trs cable, or the midibox.

3 Likes

I’m officially letting this go now, then.

I’m almost in the CBA can do no wrong-camp. But only almost. The Tonal Recall didn’t actually sway me.

With that said, I’m now off to pick up my new Mood which arrived about an hour ago :slight_smile:

I seem to remember you posting some very positive things about it. Was that a bit of a honeymoon period that you eventually got over?

1 Like

I gotta call out Meris’s own Mercury 7 on this front. The way they handle expression pedals is really top notch:

• put the toe down, and set the knobs anywhere you want
  • put the heel down, and set any knobs to any different position.
  • the pedal will now smoothly morph between those two groups of settings

It’s both really very intuitive and incredibly expressive. And 10x better than most reverbs that give you EP control over just a single parameter.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m always like that. You shouldn’t listen to my rants on gear until I’ve had it for some time.

With that said, the Tonal Recall produces some lovely timbres and is a very flexible design tool as well. It’s not so much that it doesn’t sound great. It’s just that I ended up rarely using the results of it.

It’s like that concept of something that sounds fantastic, but also quite specific. Once you apply it in your everyday stuff, you realise it’s so specific, you don’t often reach for that trick cause it’ll wear out quickly.

That’s not on the Tonal Recall, it feels like a great piece of kit. It’s just that I’m realising I’m not all that into long, dusty delays tails. Occassionally, sure. In general, no.

1 Like

Sounds like a great unit. I wish all parameters were directly accessible though… !

1 Like