Chompi Kickstarter

Internal rechargeable battery would be my vote.

3 Likes

Most important part is the USB makes zero noise. Drives me crazy when USB powered devices are ruined by noise.

In a perfect world I would rather have a chargeable battery inside the unit like the Dirtywave M8 or OP1.

3 Likes

Would be a huge shame not to include a lithium rechargeable battery. This feels like a toy/tool that might supplant my OP1 as a sofa/on the bus noodling machine. That doesnā€™t work without an inbuilt battery. My Menq Qi Wingie 2 is an ambient sound processor that just asks to be walked with around the house. But I canā€™t do that because it needs to be plugged into a power source. It could easily have been so much better.

Whatever you do, please donā€™t opt for a normal battery compartment. One of the reasons I got shot of my Sonicware Liven 8Bit Warps was because of the frustration of constantly draining batteries. Despite the device being of a size and type that just wants not to be tethered by a power cord and carried around to be played with, it justā€¦wasnā€™t.

Perhaps an easily integrated add on power bank (which neatly clips onto the main body of the Chompi) might be an option? But if so, why not just make it part of the instrument to start with? Remember the Elektron power handle debacleā€¦

3 Likes

This looks fun.

Since itā€™s a ā€œquality of lifeā€ device, rather than a ā€œbarrage of featuresā€ device, I think a battery is critical for fun, portability etc. I would also think a speaker is critical for that too. Speakers make things interactive and communal, they give life and character.

Not sure I can justify this as I have organelle and op1 already: but as you can see I am vulnerable to buying this kind of device, and it looks great fun!

1 Like

I canā€™t HANDLE it

1 Like

Wait. Are you proposing aā€¦ BATTERY HANDLE?? :grimacing:

2 Likes

That sounds like a terrific plan!

@CHOMPI If you would provide a compartment in the unit that would fit a run of the mill lipo pack with a standard connector, you could avoid the hazard of shipping something that contains a battery, while providing a device that runs on battery power. Enough electronics- and rc-stores that supply lipo-packs with standard voltages and connectorsā€¦

3 Likes

:thinking:

Internal rechargeable battery please. I canā€™t commit to another device that I have to connect to an external power bank. It kills the portability of the device for me as itā€™s more cables and bulk that Iā€™d rather not be taking around. The appeal of this device would be fast and convenient sampling that could then be transformed something magical . If I have to plug it into a power pack Iā€™m just going to use my digitakt or my tracker. Internal speaker would be an awesome addition as well.

3 Likes

personally i couldnā€™t care less about, and would prefer not to have an internal battery or any of that. Iā€™m probably in the minority here, but I only use things in the studio or live. As long as it has a line in, and an sd card, iā€™m good.

3 Likes

I would make the bottom peice metal. Making it all pcb material seems like not a good idea.

Interesting toy and I like that it screams creativity in terms of this joyful, whimsical design, but the price is a bit too high for my taste. I feel that in this day and age, it would be careless vanity to buy toys like this.

1 Like

Kind of an odd comment to make on a groovebox forum.

10 Likes

It is, if you take it out of the context.

1 Like

This makes me think of Soma Cosmos as a hands on looper and both looks great. I also thought about Loopy pro as a contender but having hardware with hands on control is much nicer imo (I use ipad apps sometimes too and they cant be beat for the price if you have an ipad)

Has he even been on the Whatā€™s your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2) thread? :rofl:

This would be the best option. In the world of photography thereā€™s lots of ā€œstandardā€ rechargeable batteries, at least per brand, like Canon LP-E6 with lots of third party options. Not sure howā€™s the battery market for music instruments, guess itā€™s not that mature or common.

Thank you for the valuable feedback everyone :slight_smile:
Sorry for not being able to get to all of the questionsā€¦ itā€™s been a wild 7 days to say the least! Regarding the battery optionsā€¦ we are currently looking into what it would take to add a rechargeable battery upgrade option for the folks who would want it. Stay tunedā€¦
Thanks again,

-T

7 Likes

Just a wild idea but the chargeable batteries could be in the handle which could be bought separately. Just donā€™t make it $999 like the optional stand for Apple Display :joy:

Yep. Wobbly knobs doesnā€™t say much. @shigginpit