COSMOS by Soma

Same here. DHL says stuck in customs but who knows.

8 Likes

congrats, where did you order yours from?

Its hereā€¦

9 Likes

Soma

1 Like

Hello, for those have now had the COSMOS for a few weeks or longer, how are you getting on with it? Any more initial thoughts or reviews to share? Thanks!

Oh, and I am curious if anyone sees this as similar/comparable to the Make Noise Morphagene?

My number finally came up with SOMA. I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to go for it at this stage, though. After shipping, the price ends up around $711 (USD) and thatā€™s a bit more than I want to shell out. At the moment, too, I donā€™t see how it fits into my setup and current goals.

Mine arrived about a week ago. What do you want to know about it? It is definitely Frippertronics in a box, and does a bunch of other stuff, but with a mind of its own.

Edit to add: I had and sold a Morphagene. It is nothing like a Morphagene, other than the whole ā€œrecords sounds and plays them backā€ thing.

1 Like

Thanks for reply and your experience with Morphagene. I guess I was just interested in hearing some more thoughts. I had received the email from SOMA to purchase and was on the fence.

Just to say the noise I heard is in my system, NOT the cosmosā€¦

Ok, hereā€™s more of a conditional review, with the caveat that I havenā€™t logged enough hours to have an informed opinion. One of the bad things about forums is people post reviews right after they get stuff, and then 6 months later their minds are totally changed. So with the caveat that I may not know what Iā€™m talking about and should not be trustedā€¦

This is from an email to a friend, with the cursing edited out.

My current state is ā€œintrigued.ā€ I am still messing around with the Cosmos and have not really formed an opinion like ā€œI will use this all the timeā€ ā€œthis could sometimes be a special sauceā€ or ā€œI should sell it.ā€ By itself, it really wants to be Frippertronics. But with the distortion it can get quite nasty, and the editing is destructive, and moving the buffer between effects produces interesting results. Some choices seem odd like you can get the granular happening in interesting ways but I havenā€™t figured out how to non-randomly scrub position.

Also, and I kid you not, I still havenā€™t figured out what the erase button does. ā€œErase allā€ erases everything. ā€œeraseā€ doesā€¦I donā€™t know what; the manual says ā€œerases sound in the bufferā€ but what sound and which buffer? I wrote support. I feel like an idiot.

It is well built and without question stupid expensive; itā€™s just that nothing else does this. Well, not exactly. I know someone who has a setup in Ableton using loopers with prime number times and LFOs sort of like what the Cosmos does. I could totally build a Cosmos in Bitwig or Live. But honestly itā€™s nice to just have it in a pedal because otherwise Iā€™m dealing with MIDI mapping and software updates.

That said, I do wish it took basic MIDI because there is no way I want this on the floor. The rhythmic firmware is also interesting to me but I donā€™t want to start messing with alternate firmware before I understand the main firmware.

So there is a rare Cosmos review in the wild from a user who has no business reviewing it yet.

I am thinking I will try it next with other pedals rather than it being a ā€œby itselfā€ thing. My two plans are Octatrack and Blooper. With Octatrack it could be like a free-running oscillator (and the OT the envelope and VCA), and I could also sample different states.

Youtube and Bandcamp will be full of drones from this thing in no time. (See also: Lyra 8).

9 Likes

As enjoyable as this thing is, its just not for me right nowā€¦ so if your in the UK and want one: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/fs-uk-soma-cosmos-grendel-drone-commander-amo-box-meris-polymoon-pladask-fabrikat/165042

bruce could you expand on that a bit, what were the issues for you?

Havenā€™t really had any issues (I had an odd noise but later found that to be a power supply problem with something connected to my system - nothing Cosmos related).

Itā€™s just not something I need right now. I loved the idea of it when it was first talked about. It does exactly what youā€™d expect it to do. Iā€™ve just sort of moved in a different direction at the moment - I want to get better at song structure and song writing. So this just doesnā€™t fit. Itā€™s great at creating some almost random stuff. Itā€™s an ambient album in a box. But thatā€™s not how I want to make music, I just get one sort of thing out of it, itā€™s nice and I like it, but Iā€™m not going to be going anywhere with it.

Not sure if that makes senseā€¦ā€¦

4 Likes

For the price of this thing, id rather get their Enner machineā€¦ i think its a LYRA 8 mk2ā€¦ more versatile even, analog and not just for drones but melodic and rhythmic stuff too and looks ace.

1 Like

I should add:

When the time came to paying for it I pretty much knew it wasnā€™t what I wanted anymore - figured it should be easy to sell as they werenā€™t going to be available for a while in the shops. It was still something I wanted to play with.

I got rid of all my sequencers. Iā€™ve found it was making me lazy at getting better on the keys (started learning piano this year, and need to get better!). The way the cosmos works kinda made feel the same as I do about sequencing, Instead of coming up with something I liked and then progressing that further, Iā€™d just play something into the cosmos and be done with it doing itā€™s thing. It was fun to try and play along with it though. And the way the feedback works so it decays away is awesome - bit like the sound on sound looper on the Volante pedal

4 Likes

I ordered one to explore smeared beats and production with, does the Enner do any recording I havenā€™t really checked that out

Rather disheartened here. My Cosmos was meant to be delivered on Monday 20th December with Fedex, but it never arrived. I have chased them every day via email and chat. The website never updates. Today I spoke with Customer Services at Fedex who said they were severe delays with packages and could give no estimate for a time of delivery :pleading_face:

And just now Fedex emailed me to ask what the packaging looks like for the parcel as they cannot locate it in their warehouse so I might need to make a claim on it. How utterly rubbish. Do any of you know how it was packaged and what it looked like please? They have asked for:

The outer/inner packaging and colour
The contents
Any serial/part numbers
The manufacturers name or any other markings on the item

Many thanks for any help you can offer please.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas too!

4 Likes

recieved mine today, box totally wrapped in black plastic with Soma tape all over it, so should be recognizable from the outside. Dimensions and more details should be available from Soma, they are super helpful and my box is already in the trash unfortunately.

Good luck man, sure it will get resolved, hopefully before the holidays.

3 Likes

oh the inside box was a plain white rectangular box, if that helps. Loads of stickers added(thanks Marta!) other than that it was a fairly minimal affair.

2 Likes