COSMOS by Soma

Have any of you guys ordered and received your Cosmos from Detroit Modular yet?

1 Like

Mine arrived from soma today. Just starting with it, holy moly what a device!! Lots to explore and try with this!!

2 Likes

when did you order yours?

Put my name on the list Sept 4, 2021. Asked to pay when my name came up on feb 7 2022. Shipped out 3/9/22 got here yesterday.

2 Likes

Really enjoying playing the OP-1 into the Cosmos at the moment (and out into H9ā€™s Black Hole).

Itā€™s great to be able to set something running with one voice, have things fill up, and have the space to then select another voice and bring something else in (all ā€œin-the-momentā€).

Iā€™ve got a sweet go-to bank of samples on the OP-1 which allow for a swathe of different textures.

So far I definitely prefer playing things in by hand rather than by sequencer, with any machine, and the OP-1 really shines for me in this respect.

Further->->->

I just had a nice mix going using your different YouTube takes :slight_smile:

Lovely stuff

1 Like

could you expand on what you mean by this?

Thanks!

Sure, though Iā€™m probably marvelling at what is standard fare for most seasoned loopers.
Get something going, add something else and so on.

Yesterday, I started off with a bit of an ambient pad sound, created a few looping, drifting layers that could do their own thing, and with that as a backdrop (playing on the Cosmos), I then dialled in a bit of static noise and sent that into the Cosmos, and then a bit of piano, and a bit more noisey stuff.

The sense of space I referred to is really how the process of adding new elements into the drifting loops doesnā€™t feel rushed. I can comfortably do a bit of brief menu-diving on the OP-1 to choose my next sound, without needing to set up the voices on the OP-1 slots before hand.

Easy does itā€¦

4 Likes

thanks Davaā€¦

Just received mine from Thomann yesterday. First impressions are that it is solid, though sounds like some cables or something are loose inside the unit when you move it around.
The first thing in noticed when switching it on (plugged into my guitar amp) was excessive hiss, and some digital artefacts added to the bass notes of my guitar when nothing is looping.
My memory man with hazarai (also a digital looper) is dead quiet.
Iā€™m away for the weekend, but will try off a battery pack on my return, but would be useful to know if others have experienced the same issues ?

It sounds like you might have an issue thereā€“my Cosmos is fairly quiet. Iā€™d experiment with the gain/overdrive settings, thoughā€“it may be just the way you have it set up. The guitar distortion on the low notes sounds like you may be overloading the input stage.

1 Like

I think in the manual they talk about noise and something you can do to improve it? Look it up, it might be in there. Iā€™ll check mine again to see if I notice anything.

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll check it all out later when I get back

Iā€™ve plugged the cosmos into the send / return of my Xone 96, with balanced cables and it seems to be a lot happier there ā€¦ no noticeable problems with artificacts or noise, so Iā€™m happy with that.
Iā€™ll probably just mic my guitar and feed it in to the mixer from now on, then I can feed any source in to the cosmos.
Iā€™m enjoying it a lot. I like the way it takes a certain amount of time for things to change ā€¦ it really is meditative !

2 Likes

Just watch out for the noise those buttons make if you close to the mic

1 Like

In the manual it mentions ā€˜analog circuitryā€™ ā€¦
Anybody have any ideas what elements might be analog in the unit ?
Iā€™m enjoying the unit, mostly the fact that changes take a while to happen or evolve. Thatā€™s the main reason I think I will use it over using FieldScaper or Borderlands on my iPad (running through my Xone96) which achieves the same sort of sound, but needs manual intervention for slow, evolving changes

Exploration vid by looping guru Andre LaFosse (grandmaster of Echoplex Digital Pro):

4 Likes

HI there! just wondering: anyone manage to get their cosmos to play nice with music that has a beat? Somehow I only see videoā€™s of ambient style use without any beat. Since the device has not tempo/sync options, I wonder if some of you found ways to incorporate it in - non ambient - music.

Perhaps by recording your cosmos and then editing the sample to make it fit in something else?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a separate firmware that makes it work like a normal looper. Though being honest, if you want a normal looper I canā€™t see why youā€™d look at the cosmos.

3 Likes