COSMOS by Soma

Great, thanks.

1 Like

This is a snippet of a session i recorded with the rhythmic firmware of the Cosmos. I played some chords with a rhodes plugin and added a vocal sample. Everything else is the Cosmos doing its thing. The grainy sound comes from the pitch algorithm.

It takes some time to find out how much or little to play without turning everything into mud. And itā€™s easy to f up a nice loop by adding some wrong notes. :slight_smile: But all in all itā€™s a lovely device.

5 Likes

new update for all firmwares

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiQS_cwNEMw/

https://somasynths.com/cosmos_firmware/

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!
Iā€™m interested to hear this new variation:

COSMOSPM1.5.smf
A variation of the main version with a pitch function.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the one I asked Vlad for. Itā€™s nice to sweep the pitch but one of the main things I like is that it gives even longer, dirtier delay times at the slowest (oct down) setting. (Never liked the Drive sound much personally.) The updates seem smoother to me when using, for example, reverse.

4 Likes

Oh excellent! I never use the Drive effect very much anyhow so nice to have an alternative. Definitely going to try this out! Thanks for encouraging Vlad then!

2 Likes

I also tried to get the standard looper added as an alternate to the first dot of the regular version (I never use that). The looper function would be much more useful there for me - but so far I havenā€™t persuaded him.

1 Like

Now, that would be fantastic as I also very very rarely ever use that setting either. Letā€™s see in the future!

2 Likes

Probably needs more than just my (whiny) voice.

5 Likes

ha ha!! I love the finger dancing at the start. Always a good idea to check that camera!

1 Like

My unique selling point is in making very basic, unprepared videos. This one was even unstoned, which is not an experiment I intend to repeat. :wink:

5 Likes

:joy::joy:

Just fired mine up for the first time. Does exactly what I want it to do. Awesome.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just an update. The pitch variation of the main version was already out before.

4 Likes

Lovely stuff :clap:

1 Like

Hereā€™s a video i made with the Cosmos and some drumloops. I wanted to find out how it handles drums with the rhythmic firmware. And it doesnā€™t disappoint. Itā€™s great for glitching up beats and creating random breakbeats. It canā€™t be midi synced but iā€™ll cut up loops of the recordings and use it in a sampler for my beats.

The drum exploration starts around 6:40

8 Likes

Really nice video! Interesting machine. Did you sell your Syntakt in order to buy the Cosmos?

1 Like

very nice companion for the sp404ā€™s skipback feature

1 Like

Thank you!
Not really but kind of. :slight_smile: The purchase of the Cosmos definitely left a hole in my wallet. So i sold an SP-404a and some gameboy modules.
I sold the Syntakt because i was struggling too much to get the sounds i wanted out of it. But the Syntakt reminded me of how cool the Digitone was that i once had. And so i got a used Digitone again for half of the price of the Syntakt. I just love the Digi boxes.

Oh yeah, this would probably work well. I really like the skipback feature. I was eyeing the SP-404 mkII since it came out. Might get one at some point.

1 Like