COSMOS by Soma

I hope they have the foresight to somehow make a bridge between the two modes as being able to use them in conjunction with one another would be the whole point for me personally, for example you might want to start off with some standard percussion or something looping and then start using the faerie dust on something else on top of that etc…

it’s nice to be able to just have the option of having a standard looper mode, that way you wouldn’t need to hook up a cosmos and a another looper pedal but I would think that most people drawn to the cosmos would be for it’s special properties and would rather be able to use both modes together for maximum experimenting and taming.

1 Like

I signed up for the “pre-order” back when this thread started, but forgot all about it. Lately, I’ve been looking g for something that’s a bit less structured, a sort of playground for making sounds. This might just be what I’m looking for right now. Headphone out is a plus. Can’t wait to dive into loopop’s video to see if that’s the case.

1 Like

what eta are you expecting?

I signed up too. They said possibly end of July but I haven’t heard anything lately. Now I’ve gone and bought too much other stuff so I probably won’t be able to get one. Oh well.

2 Likes

so they don’t charge you until they ship?

That’s why I used quotes. Pre-order amounted to emailing for interest. I haven’t heard anything, so I don’t know what the next step is. Guessing there will be an email when my number gets pulled.

1 Like

Perfect Cricket has them available for pre-order.

In the USA retailers are not supposed to charge your account until they’re almost ready to ship.

The price at PC is $619 USD. They don’t show any expected by date.

1 Like

I saw that, actually tried to call them but they are closed on Sundays

This looks like a fun time for jamming, but it does seem to get old rather quickly, due to its restrictions (fixed loop times, no sync, no undo). Would be fun to recreate the way this thing works on the OT though (if I still had one). I recently discovered how nice it is to use the op-1 as a guitar looper and this gave me some neat ideas for resampling one tape track to another one using some master effects (hard to do it all live as on the cosmos, but could yield some nice results).

1 Like

It depends on what they plan for firmware updates.

Yes, I think some of the remedies can be taken care of with firmware updates. I mean, I really like the idea of the cosmos. But I think it would have been more useful for me, if it were smaller, cheaper and had port with midi sync. The foot switches for the filter could have been knobs. No big issue, but the ins and outs seem to be spaced too far apart, looks wonky to me. But I’m sure there is still lots of fun to be had with it, but the price is just too high for the things it can do (for me).

Loopop’s pros and cons sound exactly like the pros and cons of my Ciat Lonbarde Cocolase.

Cons: Very hard to make loops with predictable rhythms as the device is constantly changing the rhythm

Pros: Great for ambient beds - although the Cocolose’s 8-bit sound might not suit those looking for pristine quality

3 Likes

Nick’s Friday Fun

Nick feeds a Radikal Technologies Delta CEP A into a SOMA Cosmos.

Nick just got the Cosmos so he’s new to how it is used, which i think shows some of what early experience with it may be like, rather than a glossy demo video.

8 Likes

Cosmos is amazing, I want to buy one

Yeah it looks great, GAS intensify!

Nick must have pulled the cosmos out of the box right before filming. Yet, he still managed to get some fun things going.

Side note: that Delta CEP A makes some nice sounds, eh?

2 Likes

‘’ It’s good for the soul, even if no one else is listening ‘’ _Nick Batt

7 Likes
4 Likes

I wasn’t interested in this until I listened to the jam at the end.

2 Likes

Rhythmic version of COSMOS firmware

14 Likes