COSMOS by Soma

:rofl: Priceless! Vlad on shrooms :partying_face:
Good to see a developer with a great sense of humour along with being so innovative and skilful.

4 Likes

is this what my brothers and sisters across the pond call taking the wizz, lol I see it gets better

so does this firmware have the drift smear capabilities of the original videos as well?

https://somasynths.com/cosmos_firmware/

New Rhythmic manual (via link above) suggests that Blur now adds reverb instead and there are different time divisions for shifting patterns and pitch shifting options for each of the programs.

6 Likes

Before seeing the video I wanted to try thisā€¦ After seeing the guy enjoying that much I NEED it in my life.

really wish the Rhythmic features could be used in conjunction with the regular features

3 Likes

I donā€™t have mine yet and havenā€™t really compared all the differences, but reading a bit through the manual for the rhythmic version, I am stunned about the possibilities this version also offers. I hope it will be as interesting in a different way as ā€œnormalā€ mode. I liked what I heard through headphones watching Vlad doing his loving live presentation :partying_face: :smile: :+1:

Manual for just the rhythmic version: rhythmic version of COSMOS

1 Like

Are there any of these in the wild yet? I did the original preorder from Soma and havenā€™t heard a peep since.

Me either - and I signed up pretty early. Iā€™m guessing Soma are just building the hype up as they get closer to being available.

ordered mine from Detroit Modular pretty early no eta yet

My Thomann order says ā€œprobably 30.09.ā€ Hard to believe though from what I am reading here :thinking:

My thomann order started as 06/09 but has now slipped into december on the website :frowning:

yeah itā€™s interesting for sure I just donā€™t understand why they wouldnā€™t allow it to run with the main firmwareā€¦ there wasnā€™t even going to be a regular looper function until everyone, their grandmother, and nick batts from sonic state stated the obvious, that we would love to be able to use the wonderful features of the cosmos (just as they are) in conjunction with a simple standard loop capability that we could use to build beds, tunes, beats, whatever with and Soma graciously listened to the request, but the request wasnā€™t for a competing firmware albeit special in itā€™s own rightā€¦ now if you want to use the main firmware youā€™re still going to have to use an additional standard looper/loop method to achieve what was supposed to be the whole point in making the request in the first place.

still looking forward to it but ya

When I ordered the cosmos I also ordered a regular looper, the Boss RC 500, because of the unpredictable nature of the Cosmos, which is nice but not always wanted. So, I should be fine using the main firmware with my Boss looper, but it would probably be much nicer to have this all in the cosmos instead of having to use two devices, ya, still looking forward very much though.

1 Like

From what I understand the original firmware works on the basis that there is no fixed loop length. Isnā€™t that the whole point of it? Sounds you record with it drifts out of time. So Iā€™m guessing it was not possible for them to combine the two concepts (fixed and drifting length loops) into one workflow. But Iā€™m just guessing here.

2 Likes

I can only assume the same as you, I just think Soma are so good at what they do I wish it was easier to believe they couldnā€™t add standard features to the existing firmwareā€¦ a disable setting for the drift or somethingā€¦ but I guess I just gotta get over it but damnā€¦ we were so close, I think the look on nick batts face when he reviews it again will express how I feel more eloquently

2 Likes

There are plenty of looper devices, so Iā€™m confused why folks would want cosmos to be another one. I like the concept of cosmos for exactly what it is designed to be. Something different, something meditative and not confined within certain boundaries. I dunno, just my two cents.

8 Likes

itā€™s not that we want it to be just another looper, I love the concept just the way it is like you, but Iā€™d like the ability on the same pedal to be able to record loops of all of that experimental output in a controlled way to build upon it. Iā€™d love to be able to set down a groove and then go cosmos on top of it, but all in the same pedal/timeā€¦ I definitely do not want the cosmos to be a standard looper pedal, I just wanted a standard looper function to be available on the cosmos

looks like they did something cool, by adding the capability of essentially another cool version of the cosmos via firmware, donā€™t know why they didnā€™t call it the Rythmos but anywayā€¦ that doesnā€™t stop anybody that wants to do something as simple as I mentioned above from having to use a second looper in conjunction with the cosmos

2 Likes

BTW three programs from the main firmware are present in the rhythmic version.

1 Like

Soma replied to me earlier saying they should be on the shelves by the end of the year, though Gear4Music was saying Mid October, which I doubt is realistic