COSMOS by Soma

I hope they get nick batt and loopop the updated firmwares so they can do an in depth on it

Sonicstate already demoed the new firmware in a Friday Fun episode a couple of weeks back actually … not “in-depth” I suppose but it shows it in practice: https://youtu.be/U-VTlky3_VU

3 Likes

yeah I saw that, I think he’ll come back around with a better demo at a later date

btw, does anyone know about any software that does what the cosmos does?

from this morning as a reply to their posting of the rhythmic video, let’s hope its october for retailers too(looking at you Thomann!)

3 Likes

You could just have a regular looper working in tandem with the Cosmos and a small mixer. That would cover all your needs.

2 Likes

If you feed a OT into this thing you’ll probably open an inter-dimensional portal.

10 Likes

I have doubts as to the usability/workflow of doing it all in one pedal vs. using Cosmos in tandem with a more conventional rhythm oriented looping pedal.

The all in one thing usually ends up with having to memorize a bunch of control combos, that typically involve holding down a button while touching another control. Hidden features like that make improvisation and live performance more of a challenge.

We’ll see, however…

1 Like

October shipping is quite exciting, but I’m not holding my breath. That way, I hope I’m pleasantly surprised when they do roll out. I sent the “pre-order” email, but I guess if they end up in my favorite shops at the same time, it probably makes more sense to order from them, instead of direct from Soma.

2 Likes

Oooooh. That’s exciting ! I pre-ordered from Thomann today, and accidentally bought a S/H Lyra 8 off reverb :wink:
So much for my minimalist drive

2 Likes

Revealed! Vlad = Muslimgauze!

Amazing demo…

3 Likes

at least they’ve done the hard part already :slight_smile:

You mean adding the function that you wanted? Sure I guess.

1 Like

Ohhh… Now this is interesting. SOMA is actually giving COSMOS owners a choice of firmware.:

• Main
  • Quadro
  • Main w/ Pitch Function
  • Rhythmic
  • Rhythmic w/ Pitch

Kinda ballsy to support 5 different versions of firmware at the same time, but if anybody was going to try it first, who else but SOMA would do it…

https://somasynths.com/cosmos_firmware/

I see craig beat me to it, but I just did not catch on that there were 5 different firmware choices. I get the argument “Why not just one main firmware?” but I don’t see how that can be done without forcing the user to remember to hold down one or two footswitches at the same time - the “hidden function” problem.

Rhythmic firmware demo:

4 Likes

yeah this guy is prolific as can be

The pitch-shifting version gives you an octave up or down to play with. This translates to around 40 seconds of (lower fidelity) looping if you record at the lowest pitch. If you record at the highest pitch you can then transpose your audio down by a full 2 octaves.

Which one? I see 2 versions

Ah sorry, I was talking nonsense. The website is correct: there’s only a single octave in total, with the minimum knob position representing half speed, minus one octave and the longest loop length (around 40 seconds). Applies to both pitch-shifting versions.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Thomann’s pre-order has now changed to sold out/a few months, and I am once again reminded why I never pre order stuff… Also no email from Soma themselves yet(I signed up with them as well for a pre order) so all in all it might take a while before we can loop like Vlad…

Just called Thomann and they told me “maybe!!! February…”. Damn, I was ready for this thing, doing some mad meditation music, and now… aahhhhhh, … , ohhh, … not even for Christmas!!! :cry: :cry: :laughing:

2 Likes

is this Feb for first batch or for the second batch?