Digitakt 1.20 & Digitone 1.30

Which one?

And

1 Like

Awesome update Elektron!!

Sorry if was already answered, but can be possible to connect to an iPhone and record the audio when simultaneously recording video?

yes, the audio from the DT/DN is recorded to the iphone video.

2 Likes

Midi designer pro 2 is good on iOS.

Great!!!

And does it have latency? Is it possible to connect the phone to a speaker or should I connect the DN to it?

that’s a certainty. no idea how much though, don’t have a means to measure it. from a quick test, it seems to be compensated. audio and video are very tight.

you monitor the DT/DN’s audio via the DT/DN itself, not the phone.
when recorded, unplug the connector and play the video back to hear the DT/DN audio on your vids through the phone speaker.

3 Likes

The audio driver isn’t optimized for that workflow. They’ve put in considerable work on it but the fact remains that the box is never going to perform the same as a dedicated piece of audio card hardware. Overbridge takes advantage of the daws latency compensation which off loads the work from the box itself. Sadly dealing with a bit of latency when trying to use ob boxes as just sound cards is the price we pay.

1 Like

Did anyone understand why USB mode is not multitrack? To protect OB development?

Would have been so nice to be able to add sidechain ducking just with an iPhone - I hope this is coming one day…

1 Like

I think you gave the answer yourself…

1 Like

It’s not planned obsolescence or to “protect” anything. They’re not charging extra for OB so that’s an odd take.

1 Like

well… it would more or less make OB unnecessary - besides a few function (like saving sounds for example or total recall) … I mean I rather twist knobs than use a mouse. Or is OB allowing more bandwidth for more LFOs / automating CCs than USB midi maybe? I like the OB VST but … do I need it / would I use it (if USB mode would be multitrack…)?

Really don‘t want to discriminate OB. But I wouldn‘t use it as often probably if there was multitrack USB… so as a company this could be a reason to not implement it (they could have done it before having a working OB version … just sayin’ …)

My guess is that, for 8 tracks to flow over class compliant USB, you’d have to do the processing in the box.

Whereas with overbridge, it just dumps the data down the wire and lets your powerful PC or Mac sort it all out.

6 Likes

Well, even knowing nothing about the technical aspects of class compliant USB audio, common sense would tell you that if Elektron had an easy to implement way to have multitrack audio, they wouldn’t have pursued the development of Overbridge 2. Also, if you use class compliant mode, you would only be able to stream in audio from a single device, while OB2 allows many devices simultaneously.

4 Likes

Indeed … haven‘t considered the lacking processing power left.

Pretty sure most class compliant audio is 2 channel only isn’t it?

I don’t think so. I’ve used several audio interfaces and mixers with the iPad that have many more ins and outs.

1 Like

Indeed, my RME UCX works as class compliant with all its ins and outs. What’s involved for that in terms of hardware or software, I do not know.

1 Like

You’re comparing an I/O with a drum machine or a synth. Their primary functions are VASTLY different.

2 Likes

No, I was just replying to the question about whether all class compliant audio interfaces are only 2+2. They definitely aren’t.

3 Likes