Digitakt Bubble: Already set to Burst? 04/15/23

I always put some in my Japanese curry too. Kinda slippery when you cut it.

the price is averaged. craigslist which has no tax and no fee is at the same point. guitar center is seeing the same price range. this is supply and demand, it doesnā€™t matter who getā€™s paid what, at the end of the day it is what the consumer spends. I can tell you 100% if I sell a car and the government then audits me and seizes the assets in my bank account immediately after I transfer the title, the person who bought it did not pay any less.

I understand your perspective that it doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s accurate because it does not reflect value to the seller, but value to the seller is always secondary to what the consumer pays. My commentary wasnā€™t about ā€œyouā€™re sitting on a goldmineā€ itā€™s about the bubble inflation of the sale price on used digitakt over the period of the week following the introduction of the new OS. Resale prices on monomachine during their lifespan were never close to this. digitakt is sitting at over 80% of itā€™s retail value on a used market, itā€™s pretty unheard of for a product which is not a collectors item and can still be purchased new.

regardless of who is selling on reverb, if itā€™s selling it means a sale was made and money changed hands. if it sits for a year, itā€™s not a good example or itā€™s a good example of how not to price a product. but in a month Iā€™ll re-average the sales for march and see if there was a decrease in sales, or an increase in price and how that balances out. Also since Iā€™m not willing to give ebay my information reverb is the only place I can view accurate sold data.

2 Likes

A new OS came out, and the second hand stock was bought by people previously on the fence or who really needs the new features or maybe sold a DT awhile back because it didnā€™t do slicing or whatever. But itā€™s temporary and things will go back down again. Itā€™s just sellers being cheeky because they know thereā€™s temporarily higher demand now.

Comparing to MnM doesnā€™t work for me. Thatā€™s long out of production and far fewer were made. DT is far from unobtainium right now.

2 Likes

only time will tell, at this point itā€™s purely speculation in either direction.

Yep, agree with you.
Iā€™m only saying that reverb sales are a small fraction of the total transactions and are not so much indicative of the real value and the market. also, usually RV is where non-experienced people buy (not only them ofc)

I still see a lot of digitakt being sold (and sat there for months) for 450/500 eur in Europe.

Comparison with the monomachine canā€™t be made. People, nowadays tend to sell used gear at much less loss than years ago.

80% of its retail value (Minus expenses) Is the norm, at least, in modular realm.

1 Like

you believe the monomachine is priced fairly at $2000-$3000? thatā€™s your perogative, I wonā€™t rob you of an opinion.

show me a $3000 korg triton, itā€™s been out of production longer.

But thereā€™s still shit loads of them about on eBay.

Itā€™s not about how long theyā€™ve been off the market, itā€™s about scarcity.

1 Like

absolutely korg is a huge company compared to elektron but the sid station is selling for half of what the monomachine is right now, and if there is a question of scarcity I guarantee the sid station wins. Itā€™s all just used gear, you arenā€™t going to convince me the market is not artificially inflated around the monomachine right now. I love the fucking thing but in my opinion which is as valid or informed as anyones I hope, there is a heavy lean on that bad boy compared to other synths even from elektron.

If reverb is the only place I can find them for sale I have to use that as the plucking ground because there are no sid stations on elektronauts for sale - there are 2 on reverb, $1500 and $1595, there are 16 monomachines, one is $1975, one is 2300, the rest are between 2700 and $4084. by logic of scarcity the sid station should cost 10,000. The market is inflated around the mnm.

1 Like

Oh I agree, itā€™s ridiculously inflated.

2 Likes

Elektron increased the price of the Digitakt by ā‚¬100 to ā‚¬949 as well. So thatā€™s another reason why the used prices go up.

2 Likes

if I ever run a political smear campaign youā€™re gonna be my ace

Donā€™t talk to me about smearing, Iā€™ve got a toddler

3 Likes

this is why youā€™re the ace.

1 Like

Well then smoke me a kipperā€¦

Iā€™ll be back for breakfast.

3 Likes

ā€¦oh and maaaaaaaaabeeeeeeey, since we ruled out the sophie factor, 2nd hand market simply correlates with actual listed retailer pricetagsā€¦and hell yeah, all actual elektron devices were never that pricyā€¦
in case of the ot, even within considering actual inflation rates, itā€™s more expansive than on itā€™s day one, almost one and a half decades agoā€¦
i bought my dt the week it came outā€¦that was under 700 bux including taxesā€¦
right now itā€™s listed brandnewā€¦ 899,-ā€¦!

1 Like

Strange how the market for ā€œshoes you can fuckā€ is not as large as expected.

Scarcity is as organic as it gets (donā€™t mention the MnM cabal.)

Well after. When it went out of production they were cheeeeep.

2 Likes

Try searching for ā€œshoes you can make love toā€ instead.

2 Likes

Prices in France are rather constant since July 2017, oscillating between 400 and 600ā‚¬.

Source : Digitakt - Elektron Digitakt - Audiofanzine

6 Likes

itā€™s only in the last week that there shows this drastic inflation of interest and thus pricing. Iā€™m sure everyone is correct, it will pass as soon as the new Roland video or something similar is released.

3 Likes

I see you, double-daring someone to make a wavetable out of it ā€¦ :rofl:

3 Likes