Digitone Keys - Discontinued? really?!

One openbox at Guitar Center for the moment for $880.

Yes - and it’s very heavy with an all steel case. I use mine in my home studio, so I don’t move it much, but when I do I find the heft to be oddly satisfying. Quite literally built like a tank :slight_smile:

5 Likes

it can’t?

I miss mine :frowning:

dream synth

3 Likes

It is so much more then just a groove box with keys stuck on, it is an actual synthesizer, unlike most Elektron, so you can really play it like a synth… plus the way you can use midi map is just incredible… it really opens up the way your can play it.

5 Likes

I do wonder if something else is on the way.

While it could be that the DNK just wasn’t selling as expected vs the DN, it could also be that an updated model is incoming, or that another product fills the space in their product line.

When is the next big music hardware event?

Superbooth 23, 11 - 13 May

Elektron isn’t a listed exhibitor, but it is still early for that.

ADDED : Also SynthFest France 2023, 21-23 April.

2 Likes

If they are prepping a MkII, my guess is it’s a 12 or 16 voice version.

That was always the thing that seemed to me like an oversight on the DNK; 8 voices is fine on a groovebox if you have a plocked drum track and mono bass line, but once you bring 49 keys into the picture, a lot of keyboardists are going to want to play chords and those remaining six voices are going to be in short supply.

3 Likes

Namm 2023 is in april this year.

2 Likes

I love the fact that Elektron actually put these keyboard-equipped oddballs (SFX-6, AK, DNK) - into production. None of them feel like streamlined instruments designed to be high-volume sellers. They’re more like idiosyncratic and unique instruments, quite unlike anything else.

While I have no idea why they’ve (seemingly) discontinued the DNK, I doubt we’ll see a mk2. Neither the SFX-6 or the AK were updated with mk2 versions when their keyboardless siblings were, and both units were in production around 3 - 3,5 years. The DNK is now around three years old.

9 Likes

I’m kind of bummed about this. I was sort of expecting them to give us a “Last chance to get a DNK before they’re gone!” message. I’m not sure if they have given similar warnings in the past or not.

I currently have a regular DN and was debating on getting a DNK as well. I guess I can check out the used listings in the future, though I’ve never bought used before.

I’d love an AK mk2 with 6 or even 8 voices :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

That would be the bee’s knees :star_struck:

1 Like

The fact that it’s still listed for sale (out of stock) at Elektron.se has me wondering if this could be more of an indeterminate supply chain problem where the supplier of a critical part has no current forecast for when the part will be available again, and so the most recent run of DNKs will be the last until they can order that part again.

And of course, that part may well not be produced again, in which case Elektron would have to redesign the product slightly, but without significant demand to justify it, it would be effectively discontinued.

3 Likes

You’re right. out of stock with a Notify Me when back in stock attached to it as well. They could just say Discontinued and move it to their Legacy page.

But that is balanced against a retailer like Sweetwater dropping it from their catalog. You can come up with reasons for this too, without the product being discontinued, but that’s usually what that means.

So the Digitone Keys being discontinued seems indeterminate at the moment at best. So i say it’s still alive.

1 Like

But we have threads about retailers saying that for the ARmk2 and A4mk2 more than a year ago, and that was clearly just a stock shortages.

1 Like

Give me a break would you ?

First off i brought up Sweetwater — because they are one of the biggest, they’re not a fly-by-night, and i know well how they work. They don’t drop products that they are even selling occasionally. ( Other than stuff from ROLI, and we know what that was about. )

Second check : Guitar Center, Perfect Circuit, B&H, Kraft Music, ZZounds, AMS, Musician’s Friend, Andertons, Chuck Levin’s, and others. They all have dropped it from their catalogs. Some like B&H literally say Discontinued.

There are others, that still list it, and some even have it in stock — like try Detroit Modular.

Notice too how i qualified my response.

1 Like

Er, ok. Didn’t mean to upset you, I was just saying it’s not conclusive. Which you also said. My point was just that it’s not usually what it means, because we’ve had several false alarms like this. But one of these days it’ll be true.

I agree Sweetwater are probably more reliable than some others. I’ll still wait to hear it officially from elektron.

2 Likes

Sorry, man, my bad.

I just bought a Digitone Keys from Perfect Circuit. I wonder if it’s the last one? Probably not, but if it was, that would be kind of interesting. Is it bad to buy a product right before they discontinue it, or is it kind of cool? On one hand, it may not be supported much longer, and it’s also a sign that it wasn’t that popular, but on the other hand it sort of makes it feel more valuable since it can no longer be obtained new. Doesn’t matter really. I’m just glad I got one. I regrettably sold my non-keys Digitone a few months ago, and of course I missed it immediately. Tip: don’t sell your Digitone. Excited for the user experience of the Keys!

4 Likes

Elektron is pretty good in general about following through with support on their products, or at least they were with the Analog Keys, and the Mark I products. You kind of don’t expect that support to go on forever, but i think some level of that sort of support pays in customer good will.

In addition they can still release Sound Packs for the DNK, especially as they overlap with the Digitone, and the Digitone Mk II.

Please no one else dump on me for posting this.