Digitone Keys - Discontinued? really?!

My personal suspicion is that the keybed components are hard to come by atm for the right price, particularly as its aftertouch enabled. I dont expect it to be unsupported anytime soon even if it did get shelved. Primariliy because the synth engine and sequencer is identical to DN. The firmware is very similiar, and as others have pointed out, Elektron have a good track record in my view with not deploying a policy of planned obsolesence to primarily drive sales. Very very happy with my dn keys.

2 Likes

The Fatar keybed was an excellent choice by Elektron.

If they followed on with the poly-aftertouch version from Fatar, that would be incredible. They’d have to rev the hardware, no room for two versions, but worth it. Pure speculation, but a fun thought.

2 Likes

It came out when fm was hot, it is not really hot anymore and it is wave table synth’s turn to shine now.
I would imagine any form of keys is more expensive in every way for Elektron and just not worth it.

1 Like

Oh? If FM’s not hot then I guess I’d rather be square.

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have worded that differently… I don’t mean it is not hot to us, just that it seems that the synth designers are focusing on new wave table synth’s and have stepped back from the glut of new fm synth’s that were coming out when the dtk came out.

2 Likes

last Plaits update:

full DX 7 patches support
wavetable synthesis
waveterrain synthesis

user exchangeable via Audio :1st_place_medal::speaking_head:

1 Like

Ironically I think it would have done better if they went all out with the idea of it being your main controller and make it full size (49 or 61 keys), ditching the horizontal layout. Then it could have replaced my MPK261. The keys were definitely up to snuff and it would have been so handy. And if they upped the voice count too. Of course, then it probably would have been outside everyone’s price range… but then again, didn’t they price-reduce the DNK twice? A happy medium with a better value proposition might have been a hit…

2 Likes

I have one and quite like it, but some firmware choices made by :3lektron: are quite frustrating:

• Being able to use the arpeggiator on MIDI tracks would make it a much stronger master keyboard option.
  • And the ability to live record the modwheel and aftertouch would make more use of the add’l expression-related hardware.
7 Likes

Haha, so the 80s have been replaced with the 90s? :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

I’ll never sell mine. It’s a fantastic controller.

2 Likes

Thomann now too !

Quos valde amas numquam vere moriuntur

‘Those whom you deeply love never truly die’

My first Elektron purchased followed closely by the Digitakt. They’ve been besties ever since. Chose the DK for the form factor and FM synthesis/sequencer.

3 Likes

I actually don’t think many people realized just how much those keys (awkward placement or not) add to the flow of the DN. The DN is already one of the most incredible devices around, but being able to hold a button, tap a chord, and immediately start making changes with both hands is even better. Then, using it as a controller (in my case for the M) and tap a button to change parts, then internal for both synths… The DNK is INVALUABLE. It’s easier to poke fun at a strange looking device than to try it out. This thing should have outsold the desktop.

15 Likes

Very, very glad I have mine. I love it so…

3 Likes

What? Why do they not announce in advance that they are stopping production of a product? I don’t think they realise that many people may have something on their shopping list but there’s just so many nice pricey things available that it takes time to get to each specific item on the list. If they would just announce that it’s the last chance to get one, then many would have the chance to rearrange their priorities. Perhaps they sell enough that they don’t care though. :disappointed:

2 Likes

There may be many reasons why a manufacturer would choose to discontinue their product. A few factors may be hard to predict, forcing a discontinuation earlier than originally planned. For example:

• Component shortage
  • Obsolete or changed components forcing the company to do expensive redesign and possibly re-certification to keep the product in production
  • Parts, labour or warehouse cost increase making the product too expensive to manufacture
  • Competition or market changes making the product less viable and/or profitable
1 Like

I guess it’s time for all the “just a keyboard haphazardly slapped on a Digitone” haters to change Digitone Keys status from GARBAGE to RARE LEGACY NO-LONGER-PRODUCED VINTAGE CLASSIC

12 Likes

And many would buy up remaining stock to flip shortly afterwards for profit. It’s not clear to me what the best solution is. At least this is consistent with not telegraphing releases or updates.

5 Likes

I’d buy a second one right now (just for myself, not to flip) if I wasn’t a bit short on synth funds right now. :smiley:

Instead though, I’ll probably pick up another desktop one later, and just place it on the right side for Symmetrical DNK Layout++

1 Like

As suggested earlier a switch to a Mk2 sort of thing, could very well explain this. If you’re the sort of company that doesn’t early announce a new product, and it’s still months away from sales, you’d stop manufacturing the unit it is replacing now and then later announce the replacement.

Not saying this is happening, but it would fit with the circumstances.

As this is a speculation thread, given that an other company just did this — Waldorf Quantum MK2 it seems reasonable. The new Quantum is more or less just an improved version — more memory, voice, etc — with the Fatar poly-aftertouch keybed, and some new paint.