Hi, im ylva and im making a youtube album using mainly elektron boxes

Bought ‘The Youth’ on bandcamp an damn I’m really enjoying this a lot. It’s really unique and expressive sounding. When I listen to some music it makes me think of a genre but this album feels like you’re listening to the sound of someone. So good. Thanks. :black_heart:

5 Likes

@CompNutation thank you very much for the kind words and the support <3

@demian_west i actually dont consider the tracks that i put on youtube to be very interesting in terms of performance, at some point i realized that i wanna make tracks which are close to finished tracks as possible and are not very “jammy” so as much as i love playing with the OT slider i often realize that its not really making my music any better. its kinda really depends on what you want to achieve i guess.

5 Likes

The opening vocals on The Youth and some sprinkled throughout remind of this dude:

I’m loving your album, listened to it a good few times now and it keeps getting better.
The production is really nice. I’m curious if you mastered the tracks yourself? The tracks feel completely uncluttered but totally dense and rich as well :black_heart:

3 Likes

@CompNutation thank you! and very nice music, will have to check.
i did the mastering myself

2 Likes

Cool, nice job! You should do. It’s unusual and very emotive. Some tracks make the hairs on my neck stand up.

@LyingDalai cheers for tidying that up!

2 Likes

i’m trying things - made a tune with the OT

19 Likes

Nice angle

3 Likes

Say what you will about 2020, but it has been a prolific year for your music, and for that i am grateful.

8 Likes

This is an absolutely awe inspiring track ylva and a great showcase of what this machine is capable to achieve in the hands of a talented player. I’m amazed and delighted by the fact that this whole track is masterfully produced using only a single Octatrack and it makes me cherish this fantastic instrument that we have. Thank you so much

2 Likes

@ViolentMeals @hc_halley thank you very much for the super kind words :black_heart:

Great stuff, as always!

1 Like

i really wanted to give 1.40 a spin but somehow ended up using the digitakt

14 Likes

and this is my take on 2020
thank you all for the incredible support, i wish everyone a peaceful 2021 <3

20 Likes

A beautiful and grim send off to an absolute gut punch of a year in our lives.

1 Like

“usually” Love your music. stunning work… “again” thanks
will try to find another sentence next year i promise

1 Like

haha stopped replying here as well :smiley: Kinda gets boring and maybe people think I am just a fanboy who likes everything only because it’s from @ylva

Your stuff rocks, man! :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve spent the last couple of hours listening to these tracks. Some really great tunes. One question I have - so what are we listening to here? Is this audio straight out of the elektrons after being mastered in a DAW?

1 Like

@Grate_expectations thank you vary much for listening and for the kind words, exactly, its audio out of the boxes and some mild mastering in a daw

Thanks. Your tracks are very inspiring. Do you have any tips for working with the vocal samples? Are you timestretching them or just chopping and fitting them by ear?

1 Like

@Grate_expectations well sometimes i sort of prepare the vox in a daw, when i say “sort” i mean that i build a rough phrase from bits and pieces or longer parts and then throw it in the OT, slice it and continue from there. i dont do much time streaching on vox in the OT since its very lofi (ok sometime its also nice, but not always) - it works ok for small corrections but i prefer to have it sorted out before

edit:
sometimes i do it completely in the OT like for example in “the ballad of the lonesome influencer”

3 Likes