Isla S2400

So is the S in S2400 silent then? :wink:

3 Likes

No but the P is. :wink:

2 Likes

Check and mate

Sorry about that. I wish I was Nick Batt with a video person and audio person etc but when it’s one person working around a phone, the levels are all over the place and the proximity goes in and out. So heavy compressor use and proximity equals sounds.

4 Likes

I just think it’s really cool that you did it. Not a lot of content out there on this beast yet and I enjoyed your video thoroughly. It really does help when someone just puts down the no nonsense version of what a kit can do, to answer questions for all those on the fence out there if they should get one or not. You phrased it elegantely, all points got across just fine and it was nuanced without being objectively cold. Good stuff, man.

3 Likes

Thanks, i appreciate it. I literally did it for you all because there are some cool parallels. I had kind of a lightbulb moment ‘… hey 8 tracks over here, 8 tracks over there’.

Fun fact about the audio - it’s pretty cold here right now but I turned off the heat for the shoot so the white noise from the heated air would not be in the background. Maybe I should have left it on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OK - I ran a vocal declicker plug in on the audio in case that was an issue for anyone else besides hostbody. Here it is with less vocal clicks. Trying this as an experiment.

4 Likes

Completely unnecessary, but I do appreciate your tenacity!

1 Like

I got my unit 2 months ago and so far I’m really enjoying it.
Anyway I thought some of you might enjoy this audio comparison between the SP1200 and S2400

The first sample is the original source, then the s2400 at 48k -3 semitones, S2400 24k at -3 semitones and then the SP1200 -3 semitones.

This next one is two samples between both units and it’s blind. The first sample is primarily bass drums and some guitar and the second sample includes horns. For me as the mix gets a bit fuller it’s harder to tell which is which. (I’ll reveal which is which tomorrow after others have had a chance to listen and guess)

Also the second 500 units reached port a couple of days ago and so more units should be going out the door in a few weeks.

ETA: the answer is SP/S/SP/S on the blind comparison.

6 Likes

I dig the looping

5 Likes

I liked that video.

2 questions:

1. Those of you who’ve placed pre-orders, does your card get charged right away, or when they ship?

2. Does anyone know approximately how far out they are back-ordered?

1. Yes, was charged right away.
  2. Kind of unclear on where they’re at, I believe they just shipped the February 2020 orders and that was from the first 100 units from the 500 that came by boat. I may be totally off here though.
1 Like

My advise: reach out to the guy running the show, Bradley Holland, ask your questions, and see how comfortable you are with his way of communicating. Personally, for boutiques I feel it’s important to have a “personal click” with the founder. Let’s say he has his own “style” of communicating, and it’s up to you how you like this.

3 Likes

Brads a top guy. He’s been totally transparent since the start/ Mine arrives in the next month. I cant wait!

3 Likes

I gotta say it again, if you are a classic sampler nerd this is pretty bada55. I have a recent short piano house l vid on my YouTube and IG that I wish you could hear the piano soloed. There is this nice little aliasing on the piano, it just sounds sweet. I doubt you can hear it in the mix with me playing a synth line over it etc. But it is one of those little things when you’re composing where you go Mmmmm. Not like the EDM “I ALIAS REALLY LOUDLY” either, it’s kind of just … mmmmm yeah. Hard to explain, dancing about architecture and all that.

3 Likes

It seems like most people interested in the Isla 2400 are producers of hip hop or boom bap. Is there a reason why techno producers aren’t salivating for this thing?

I am doing house and lofi and chill FWIW.

I think it’s part of “the culture/sound/workflow thing”. It could definitely be used for techno.

For live sets it does have some nice features including the faders and the track solos and mutes. This could work for techno I would think.

It’s not too far away from the MPC set up which could also be used for techno. I think the techno culture might have their own tools and history. (I don’t know very much about techno TBH)

Hope this helps.

My experience with making electronic music doesn’t go back far enough to appreciate the machine that this box was inspired by. But I keep finding myself watching video demos of this and it looks and sounds so nice. I’m more into making house and techno, so I was wondering if it’s just as good of a tool for that genre as it is for hip hop.

2 Likes

I love it for simple/classic house and that kind of simple/old/lofi vibe. I don’t think it would work at all for the computer micro edit styles or pop house but for stripped down styles with 8 tracks it’s doable. I think the OT is still a more flexible choice overall but I really dig this too.

But yeah I have not seen a lot of techno on this and to be fair I have not been looking so maybe it is out there.

1 Like