Isla S2400

In the meantime download the Manual for a good read. Watch all of the video tutorials from Alex Ball. I’ve been waiting 15 months if that helps.

1 Like

I hope they’re not going via Suez canal :scream_cat:

4 Likes

Anyone owning it, how do u feel it is compared to say Mpc/Force or OT?

Well the ship hasn’t left port yet so hopefully that will have been resolved in 4-5 weeks.

If a person is really into sampling I can see an argument for having an MPC (particularly the older class of MPCs) an OT and a S2400. I haven’t used the Force so I’ll leave that out. The Octatrack is incredibly capable and deep and there just isn’t the capability to have the same workflow or functionality in the MPC/S2400 which many of you are familiar with. The OT can function in other capacities as well remixing on the fly as a mixer etc. I didn’t get on with mine and sold it. The newer MPCs obviously are as close to a DAW in the box as you are going to get, the battery powered option is really nice on the Live and both OT and MPC live/one are fairly portable. The older MPCs have fewer software glitches for obvious reasons and do what they do very well.

The S2400 is the most straightforward of all of these. The OS is also the least mature and is still very much in process. The goal is to keep the workflow as straightforward and intuitive as possible while adding increased functionality. It has a more robust build than any of the other machines mentioned and is in the same class as the MPC 60/3000/2000 in that regard. Its sound is also more on par with the older machines. This thing hits hard. Currently the one feature I really wish it had was a time stretch in the vein of the akai 900/1000 series samplers. This may or may not be added down the line but it is a feature request. It is also currently much easier to do remixes and songs in the MPC/OT.

1 Like

or you could get one right now from this jerk:

I just spoke to Brad about this exact thing. He had an order of 30 units from one guy.

1 Like

Yeah that is a pretty substantial markup for only having paid $980 after shipping. I get trying to sell it for 1499 or for even a couple hundred over current prices to jump the line but that is 145% more than what he paid.

ugh. annoys me both from the viewpoint of a potential customer and from Brad’s viewpoint. brand new item he’s busting his ass to get into the hands of paying customers and people are out there re-selling them for double the price… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I know business is business but Brad should have known who he was selling to. I think he has learnt a few things along the way and will put a cap on max purchases in the future. Hes already working on a much smaller version of the S2400.

1 Like

He is? You mean the revision of the board?

Yes have you see the small board he’s looking at in a recent post.

That is a reader for SP1200 floppies. It is an external peripheral.

2 Likes

Ah lol. My bad. I thought he was going off on a tangent. Im sure he’s not going to rest on his laurels though.

3 Likes

I don’t think he is either. I think he’s going to start working on the revision of the board with sweepable analog filters and hopefully this peripheral for those who have plenty of SP1200 floppies with no working drive on their SP1200 (which is many people).

And then who knows what is next.

Could be mistaken, but there was previous talk of using the already present expansion slot on the motherboard for things like digital FX or other analog filter cards. At one point Brad mentioned open sourcing the specs so any 3rd party could design and manufacture their own add-on cards. That would be pretty crazy if it caught on.

Are we talking the oft mentioned Daughter board here or something else? :slight_smile:

Well that is part of what is going on with the board revision. So instead of a daughter card with analog filters they will now be part of the build keeping the expansion slot open for something else. What that entails is uncertain. I’m still not sure if effects will be made available in a future update or as it’s own dsp card or at all. I’d kind of prefer the availability via expansion while preserving cpu intensive tasks for other features. But that does mean that the card slot is now used. But it also gives the option to those who really want effects and leaves things open for those who don’t.

I remember in the early days Brad saying he doesnt want it to become a Jack of all Trades. And wasnt keen on implementing too many effects.

I see… interesting. I like the idea of built in analog filters for sure, but I also like the idea of 3rd parties being able to implement them as well. Hopefully both can be done. I realize though that 3rd party support is dreaming a bit at least until there’s a ‘sizable’ market (however someone wishes to define that) where someone is willing to invest/risk putting out their own cards.