Isla S2400

It’s a bit expensive as a device but the new firmware has some very nice and modern features.

Ok, so that’s a major plus in my book.

I never record noodles longer than say 3 or 4 minutes, but each of those eight tracks could easily be one such noodle each. But that should work then, right? Including the recording part?

In many ways, the Isla is shaping up to be what the Toraiz could’ve been, for me.

1 Like

I never record noodles longer than say 3 or 4 minutes, but each of those eight tracks could easily be one such noodle each. But that should work then, right? Including the recording part?

Yes. So none of those 3 or 4 minute noodles would take up RAM as they are all streamed from disk, which leaves the whole 64Mb of RAM free for sampling.

Just for clarity:

• samples under 2Mb are loaded and edited in RAM
  • samples over 2Mb but under 64Mb are streamed from SD card, but can be loaded into the waveform editor
  • samples over 64Mb are streamed and cannot be loaded into the waveform editor
  • the largest audio file that can be streamed is dictated by FAT32 SD card file-size limit: 4Gb
  • samples over 2Mb cannot be looped
  • 64Mb is the largest sound that can be sampled
6 Likes

:pray:

Well we have a new update to the shipping status. It looks as if the orders weren’t split into 3 but 2 shipments and the second one is due on Aug 10th. This shipment has the hard cases so if anyone ordered in the summer of 2020 and ordered a hard case your order will be filled at that time instead of from this first group. Also this second order will fulfill ALL outstanding orders.

About 200 units or slightly more are going out per week now.

2 Likes

I have a quandary.

I have a Vermona DRM mk.3 and a Rytm mk2. I would love to get the S2400 especially if they will be hard to get in the future.

But, do I sell the Rytm, which I like but dont love, and then I’d have the S2400 for samples and the Vermona for Analog drums…or sell the Vermona and try and find enough money to get the S2400 while keeping the Rytm.

I know it’s all subjective but any opinions?

1. Sell Vermona.
  2. Buy S2400.
  3. If you miss the Vermona, but a used one in the future.
  4. Make music.
2 Likes

are you after it just because they are/may be kind of rare, or because you actually want one? do you want to work with samples in a way that the RYTM isn’t giving you?

for me, the RYTM is the best drum machine (and I’ve got a lot of 'em) because you can use samples from every drum machine ever made in it, and supplement any sound you’re not 100% happy with with the analog sounds. you can’t do that with the S2400 (though you can layer multiple samples, I’m guessing…).

there’s plenty of overlap in sound between the RYTM and the DRM1. I have both and I frequently contemplate selling the DRM1. the DRM1 mainly shines because of its immediacy; everything is right in front of you.

I guess what I’m saying is: if you do really want to work with samples more extensively, then selling the RYTM and keeping the DRM1 makes sense. you can dump drum machine sounds and everything else into the S2400 and then use the DRM1 in addition. but if you’re mainly just working with drum samples, I think keeping the RYTM is your best route (and as I said, even selling the DRM1 if you want).

Well…I ordered the S2400 and will try it out with the AR and the DRM. I’m excited. Honestly, with longer pattern lengths and a lot more midi sequencing channels, I can see keeping the S2400 and selling the AR but I love the AR so it’s going to be tough. I might just sell my MPC One now as I like hardware that is more dedicated to specific things than all the all in one grooveboxes…so we’ll see…it’s not a bad problem to have!

Mine arrived today and, damn, the construction is seriously solid!

All of my expectations about the quality of the buttons, sliders, knobs and pads have been well and truly met. The case has a 1980’s-high-end-hifi-gear solidity to it.

Time to read the manual, hook it up and get slicing!

5 Likes

Does anyone know if you receive a notification when they ship yours out? Or does it just appear one day unexpected?

1 Like

I’d imagine they email you. You can always check your order on the site and see what your status is. “Processing” is currently where I’m sitting.

1 Like

Yeah, just checked and mine says “Processing” as well. I wonder if that means it’s about to ship, or if all orders say that. I ordered mine last March.

They all say the same until the shipping label is printed. I ordered mine in mid August ‘20 and it hasn’t shipped yet. Some as late as October have been sent, so it comes down to whether you had purchased the hard case or not.

I just hope the firmware is ironed out by the time we see them. Their Devs seem to be on top of it from what I can tell.

I received 2 emails from them on the same day. The first was a shipping notification. The second was the order completion notification.

For context, I placed my order on the last day(October 4, 2020) for the pre sale price and I only received these notifications on Wednesday.

Gotta say, I’m getting a bit stoked!

2 Likes

Can’t believe this but I just received my unit.

Shipped Wednesday and received the following Tuesday! It even had to go through Canadian customs.

Note to other Canadians who may have ordered, fees and taxes from UPS were $96CAD

10 Likes

I’d love to get your thoughts on it when you’ve had some time with it. I’m waiting (mostly patiently) for my shipping notification.

1 Like

I hope we hear that in the next beat battle!

3 Likes

A new firmware version dropped last week that addresses the pad (in)sensitivity issue that was introduced in the otherwise awesome July release.

Sort of addresses. Brad states its still not perfect. Ongoing.