Isla S2400

This is standard procedure for his videos unfortunately, make 'em beautiful with as much depth as a puddle.

I was super interested in the S2400 and a part of me still is, though I have no experience or fond memories of the original. I just love sampler sequencers. Looks rugged. My chief concern is how the company that brought out the Kordbot could be capable of reviving perhaps one of the most revered pieces of music hardware. If they pulled it off then I take my hat off to them.

1 Like

Take off your hat

5 Likes

but can they revive the kordbot?

Was it really that bad.

There’s a lot of famous and infamous SP1200 producers who absolutely love it. Id take that as a huge yes.

I personally loved my time with the Kordbot, it’s the most expressive chord-making thing I’ve ever used, hardware or software. That said, the UI wasn’t particularly friendly when it came to customisation, and the ‘Sequencer - Coming Soon’ page on the main menu must have felt like a slap in the face to Kickstarter backers. I got mine second hand and made some lovely samples and MIDI files with it. I liked it so much I emulated it in Ableton Live to the best of my abilities.

I actually almost pre-ordered an S2400 but as I live in the UK the cost of import would have been crazy high.

I take videos posted on social media with a grain of salt. I’m aware Ski Beatz has been vocal about his interest in the device - personally I’ve never heard of him, though I’m far from a hip hop aficionado so that doesn’t mean anything. What other famous and infamous SP1200 producers love the S2400?

1 Like

I saw the list of beta testers on the Isla site, Kenny Gonzalez, Todd Terry, etc. But a beta tester is not a user. Will they still be using it in 2 or 3 years time when the OS is mature? That’s the test.

Hopefully this won’t push the thread too far off topic , but having some famous people using the device and having actual proper Qa to bug fix a device is a very different thing

I think modern users trying more unconventional methods to produce tunes are more valuable … I’m sure there are more of those reporting bugs.

The gear space thread has a few people finding issues but they indicate comms / fixes seem to be quick.

Yes, I check in on the the Isla Instruments forum a couple of times a day and their lead firmware developer, Mickey, usually responds to new bug items within a day. Most of the time it’s to say “Fixed in dev”, which is programmer-speak for it being at least ready to test internally and a candidate for inclusion in the next firmware version.

Regarding the constituents of their beta-testing crew, it’s not all big names and there appear to be more than enough obsessive-compulsive personalities in the mix to add depth and breadth to the field-testing.

Steve Mac , Kenny Dope. The import cost is £177.

Mickey loves squashing bugs.

1 Like

I haven’t a crystal ball. Nobody knows the future.

its ok, ive been making games/in development for 30 years.
it used to be post it notes and putting a big X through it if it was ‘fixed’ , the invention of email made things much quicker too…now it all much better…

i do appreciate isla isnt a massive company so getting the community involved in the best way (possibly the only way) to go.

reception to the hardware seems to be very positive.

2 Likes

I enjoy Ricky’s work but I don’t look for deep exposition - more just the fun of watching him explore and the joy of happy accidents - so I go in with modest expectations. That said, he really ought to have considered his influence before posting such a superficial take.

I know he caveats that it is an early / haven’t RTFM impression but no-one reads / hears the fine print and I suspect his “gripes” will hit - some unfairly. With great power comes great responsibility.

I do agree with some of the number pad criticisms, though.

2 Likes

Plus he hasn’t ever changed his coffee filter on his intro cheapskate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeesh! He should be getting acid-like trips from all the mould in there! :laughing:

1 Like

Tbh, I considered cancelling my order after watching the video. But then, the stuff that worried me, e.g., the solo/mute buttons don’t seem to be a generic issue. It is definitely a bit of an adventure to have a machine at that price point shipped from the U.S. to the EU (shipping along comes in at almost $100), but then I’m such a sucker for that crunchy sound, so I ended up not cancelling.

2 Likes

The mute/solo information is wrong( he should have checked with the community)

The backwards workflow eh? So what you get used to it.

His review is saying things like its too heavy. If it was light he’d say it felt cheap. Personally i feel he rushed out the video and didnt think it through.

Ricky’s going BoBeats now, doing it for the clicks. It’s always the best you’ll miss the most.

I’m hanging on to Tim Shoebridge, tho. That guy is all integrity still.

4 Likes

If you pay and notice the quality/price differences between €60 fx pedals and Strymon or Eventide you appreciate the Isla and it’s price. It doesn’t have more bugs then Elektron devices. A few but they hardly have anything to do with the machine to behave as a SP1200 but more on the bonus side of things. At least with the Isla on my desk