Isla S2400

Isla have a UK repair guy set up, I believe it’s Jazzcat. To be fair though, they’re super open and quick to respond to issues - I’ve been speaking with Rob at Isla about an issue my unit has; basically, the first 140 units or so exhibited ‘audio board COMM FAIL’ errors which forces a restart. I have unit 41 or something like that. They told me exactly what needs doing to fix it - two blobs of solder on two pins next to a microprocessor. They said if my tech can’t get to me they would sort me out. So yeah, I wouldn’t be worried.

2 Likes

There’s one bargain at Reverb though. Even had a 39% price drop :smiley:

“Ultra rare”, but in stock at Isla :smile:

1 Like

Just buy a Rossum at that price point. Whatever he’s smoking I need half the strength

2 Likes

Ah, didn’t know that… thanks for the info - makes it very appealing now :grinning:

1 Like

Really interested in this. How are people finding the sequencing aspect and song mode? Potential for all in one groovebox, at least when the firmware matures?

If you’re in the UK don’t worry - it seems Brad doesn’t want you to have to send an S2400 all the way to Florida for repair any more than you do. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am loving the sequencing. It’s a piece of cake to make a simple pattern, then copy it to Pattern 2, double the length, add more to it, the copy that to Pattern 3 and just keep going. Song Mode is great as well, it takes a bit of getting used to in terms of the mechanics of telling the device what to do and when - ‘play pattern 1 four times, then play pattern 2 twice, then play pattern 1 twice, then play pattern 3 at 50% tempo’ kinda thing. Song Mode is a list of events, kinda like a tracker in a way, it’s really well thought out. My brain can handle it and I hate song modes in devices usually.

IMO, the firmware has already matured to this point. It has 16 voices of polyphony, with four banks of eight pads, each of which can be a one-shot, a sliced sample or a loop. Then you can use the fourth bank for live looping (vocals, shakers, DAW, whatever). Then you have the four banks of eight MIDI channels. You can sequence technically up to 32 external devices at once. The S2400 also has a USB Host mode so it can power an external USB device, and it can send and receive both audio and MIDI over USB, and it has eight external outs, and multiple audio inputs including phono with a preamp and stereo analog filter, each pad can host a stereo sample, each pad has its own filter… The list really does go on.

3 Likes

Boy Howdy, do I not need to hear this!

2 Likes

Great info, thanks for the added GAS attack.

1 Like

i ended up with an s2400 in a trade a month or so ago. was not on my radar in the least and i haven’t used a sampler in years since the OT.

have to say, i’m super impressed! i was definitely in the ‘OT makes everything sound bad’ camp, and the s2400 couldn’t be more the opposite. having so much fun building up tracks on this thing (mostly andy stott/daniel avery/xtal inspired), running the clock out into my 4ms RCD to clock the modular. running all the sample outputs through eurorack filters and pedals, back into the inputs. just a quality piece of kit all around. very excited for the stereo live loops and filter/fx cards :flower_playing_cards:

5 Likes

Octatrack and S2400 play very well together too, perfectly complimentary. But you can’t help but wish the Octatrack “sounded” like the S2400 – making everything you put in sound better, as opposed to tip toeing around the effects & time stretching & gain staging to keep the Octa sounding happy.

4 Likes

here we go!

2 Likes

Firmware update is now available

2023-03-10 Update

Fixes

• Fixed display of fine quantization in shift, forum link
  • Fixed setting track gain on project load, forum link
  • Fixed crash switching between large sounds in waveform editor, forum link
  • Fixed MIDI CC 21 value > 0 not setting loop reps, forum link
  • Fixed MIDI CC 108 value = 0 not clearing solo LEDs, forum link
  • Fixed MIDI CC 102 (live loop pad press) to switch to Bank D, forum link
  • Fixed issue with screen update when bottom knob adjusts loop point, forum link
  • Fixed loop status enabled for >64Mb files when replacing existing smaller looped sample, forum link
  • Fixed fader catchup after receiving MIDI CC, forum link
  • Fixed handling of MIDI program change in Step Program mode, forum link
  • Fixed pad color after wake from sleep, forum link
  • Fixed pad threshold not going over 88, forum link
  • Fixed Rename file when only case changes, forum link
  • Fixed “bad folder name” popup, forum link
  • Fixed clear MIDI tracks confirmation message, forum link
  • Fixed saving time stretched file to project folder, forum link
  • Fixed Bank+# from waveform save screen, forum link
  • Fixed Bank+# from file browser, forum link
  • Fixed incorrect swing with repeat when not recording, forum link
  • Fixed copying MIDI tracks in Step Program, forum link
  • Fixed bug in organize tracks duplicate not keeping events synced to moved tracks, forum link
  • Fixed setting pad color with fader, forum link
  • Fixed saving MIDI track fader settings, forum link
  • Fixed setting pad color with fader, forum link
  • Fixed weird looping bug, forum link
  • Fixed showing too many MIDI tracks in quantize menu, forum link
  • Fixed pressing multiple gated tracks in step program
  • Fixed showing incorrect number of MIDI tracks in swing and quantize settings
  • Fixed resetting start/end points when saving slice and assigning back to same track
  • Fixed pitch ignored for >64Mb files in waveform editor
  • Fixed update of loop reps when loop reps or time changed by MIDI CC
  • Fixed update of loop reps when moving loop or end point
  • Fixed MIDI clock messing up sample mode
  • Fixed tap tempo averaging
  • Fixed force-run in song mode
  • Fixed Live Loops not saving when doing a Save-Project-As
  • Fixed Live Loop waveform erasing popups
  • Fixed pressing B while recording a Live Loop
  • Fixed pressing F4 from LL Settings
  • Fixed encoder click not acting like enter on Pattern screen and Tempo popup
  • Fixed sample VU meter frozen when other screen pops up
  • Fixed text editor help screen

Changes & New Features

• When loading large wav and a different pad is pressed, stop loading and handle the press
  • Allow tempo popup from pretty much everywhere (was only from a few screens)
  • Allow Copy+Pad,Pad from track settings
  • Allow Copy+Pad,Pad for Live Loop pads
  • Pressing Erase+A/B for Live Loops is an alternate way to erase the Loop/buffer
  • Pressing Run/Stop key at Stop&Save prompt will Stop&Save&Run, forum link
  • Pressing Pad on Swing and Quantize screens starts editing (no need to press Enter)
  • Pressing Erase in Step Edit erases that event (with confirmation)
  • Pressing Tap/Repeat+Pad in Step Program adds an event and automatically moves the cursor to the next quantized note
  • Pressing Tap/Repeat+Step in TR Mode adds/removes that step in all measures of the pattern
  • Added new keys Back+<<< for Undo, Back+>>> for redo, Back+0 to set an undo point. Copy+Back and Copy+Enter still work also.
  • Added default tempo and swing notes settings
  • Added Reverse Filter Knobs global setting, forum link
  • Added MIDI pitch fader range (in Global Settings)
  • Added root note and scale to MIDI tracks
  • Added nine additional scales
  • Added setting to change pattern at end of pattern or end of measure
  • Added option of sending MIDI pattern change messages
  • Added option of sending MMC messages
  • Added new Multi Mode Sync setting screen, press Shift+MultiMode, forum link
  • Added round-robin slice triggering and round-robin MIDI track pitch
  • Added Save All 8 Slices option to waveform editor save screen
  • Live Loop source and mix are now per-loop (LL options removed from input mon menu)
  • Added Live Loop Config (Shift+Pad in live loop mode)
    Mono/stereo, one/two banks of memory, 1-8 loops
  • Added ability to Convert SP1200 disk images (.SP12, .HFE and .IMG files) to S2400 projects
  • Updated the User Manual: PDF EPUB MOBI
9 Likes

YES!! Finally. :smiley:

Round Robin slicing, oh boy.

Here’s a round Robin demo

6 Likes

First Digitakt 1.50 now the latest S2400 update allowing us to mangle breaks, jungle is back on the menu!

3 Likes

looks really like fun retro! this and perkons with lxr would be great combo

4 Likes

Might have to get one of these again…really enjoyed it the first time…hmmm.

Congrats to them selling them at Perfect Circuit. Should get more sales that way I’d hope. But dont sell out ALL of them!

2 Likes

Yeah, seems like it’s update season.

Digitakt
Oxi One
SP-404 MK2
And S2400

it’s like second Christmas for gear heads

2 Likes

it’s still unclear to me if it’s available. I saw a post on Synthtopia about them being now available for the first time in a year, but it’s never had any indication on their website that it wasn’t in the past year. or at least in the few times I’ve checked. so Perfect Circuit sales will be good to at least cover that.