Isla S2400

The uploads are starting to come in thick and fast. In the meantime more good stuff on a daily basis now.

4 Likes

Let’s say the legacy of this instrument doesn’t mean all that much to me, and I’d be looking at this as a sampler among samplers out there.

What makes this bad boy warrant a price tag comparable to the SP-16 or Octatrack, if one cares little about the SP-1200 backstory?

It’s a genuine question, I’m seriously curious and either way, I hope this passion project goes really well.

2 Likes

Makes me regret selling my OG sp1200.

Bought and never used to flip a while later. To be fair I nearly doubled my money. That was like 8 years ago.

They are scary prices now in good working order

1 Like

On another note, while I love ski beatz I would hardly consider that video a reconstruction.

He could easily have the original master running through the 2400. Not much interaction with the machine on his end

The recording of Brad’s (the creator) latest live stream - just hours old - might answer some of your questions. It’s a pretty good overview of the (current, pre-shipment, still-in-software-beta-testing) state of the unit with some of his vision interspersed.

Also, the bill of materials for this thing is first class. A trivial-but-representantive example is the fader caps: a dollar each where most contemporary groovebox manufacturers spend just a few cents. He’s gone for pretty much the best of every component (esp. the analogue parts), remained faithful to the original where it matters then extended far beyond it where it’s possible.

I also like the respect he openly paid to his firmware developers. It sounds like they share a sense of fun and adventure. As someone who works in the software field, his attitude bodes well for their likely willingness to wring everything possible out of the hardware in future.

Full disclosure: I recently preordered.

6 Likes

I love every single word of what you’re saying here. I’m gonna check out the live stream now. Many thanks for sharing and for your reply.

3 Likes

Some more workflow-oriented stuff coming through from the beta testers.

I 'm waiting for mine to come next month hopefully. I’ve gone for the bullet proof case as well as its international shipping, taking no chances. Soooo excited. Thought about ordering another before the huge price hike.

1 Like

x2?! Now that’s commitment! :bowing_man:

Great to seen Brad ‘having a go’. I wouldn’t be so brave.

8 Likes

so great to see someone coming up with passion for an idea, seeing it through, all the way, and delivering steel-mindedly.

looks and sounds solid as a tank.

I’ve a feeling Brad has gotten 95% of his satisfaction making this happen, the commercial side will be a cherry on top.

4 Likes

A little filter action (on samples captured in “classic” mode)…

4 Likes

This whole project is just so impressive…

1 Like

This is the sort of thing I would’ve loved to have jumped on board a few years back when I was a little busier music wise. I think it looks great.

Not sure on me higher price though when that kicks in but current pricing seems fair.

2 Likes

I’ve been following this off and on since its inception. I wasn’t prepared to buy in at the start when it was just an idea. I’ve been watching very closely since the production model recently appeared and with it the videos from beta testers.

I was still on the fence until Brad announced last week the jump in price was happening today. It worked, I took the plunge yesterday at the preorder price. Gotta say I am excited!

3 Likes

Anyone else here regretting not taking the leap and getting it at the pre-order price? Now the price is quite steep, especially for overseas buyers…

2 Likes

Honestly no but I don’t understand the hype about this sampler anyway so unless it sounds really amazing and I mean something very special I’m good with what I have. This is something I have to try before.

2 Likes

Something to consider is that most folks who have ever dreamed of owning a SP1200 can’t afford them at their current price. If they cost the same as this S2400 I would definitely snap up an OG. That just isn’t an option. With the S2400 you get a close facsimile of both the sound and, just as important, the workflow of the OG. All the extra stuff like the build quality, the newer tech the DSP and all is just gravy as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

Yeah i know, so it really depend who you are asking :slight_smile:
For someone dreaming about THE SP1200 i guess its a no brainer. I never listened to Hip Hop or jungle etc so i guess im not the target customer but looks like a quality build .

1 Like