Koala Sampler App

have some bits and pieces thrown on soundcloud at Stream mindseye robot music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud . I tend not to make full tracks with this process but more sample mangle, chop etc to feed the digitakt and sometimes further down the chain into octatrack or ableton. but have had a lot more fun jams using the combo than have actually recorded. thats actually one huge problem i find with ipad in general. stuff just gets buried so easily. AUM has made it easier to keep stuff in some sort of homogeneous collection.

note the digitakt +12db option is for audio coming from koala not to unfortunately.

1 Like

Good to know about the 12db thing, it’s all good, kind of amazing what can be done with just a USB cable between two devices these days. Got an SP404 Mk2 on the way, looking forward to working with it in a similar way too.

Listening to Sparkle Drums right now, dig these classic DnBish sounds, particularly the way the melodic sample/chords hold it together. Nice one. And de tech bastad child - brutal!

1 Like

Time stretching in Koala Sampler is dope.
I don’t have much else that can do time stretching - is the time stretching in Koala Sampler considered to be “good”, compared to other tools?
the pitch algorithm, seems to be the smoothest, giving me the results I was looking for in my last project. I guess the other settings have their place depending on what you’re stretching and what you want to do.
What’s the standard/old standby time stretching tool to compare to?

1 Like

PaulXStretch is available as a Beta on different platforms. It is quite famous for being able to perform extreme stretching.

1 Like

I think Koala’s time stretching is excellent. As a user of Ableton and Machine I would def say it’s comparable. Not better, but comparable for sure.

1 Like

Holy war declared! Akai faithful, line up on the left. Not you 16-bit weirdos, though, you stand over there.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeEIDWvvqOZ/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

7 Likes

Wow :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a nice add on and shows how far ahead samplers can be compared to hardware.

1 Like

Holy cow.

5 Likes

It was already present within the app as a beta-easter egg.

1 Like

I’ve gotten some really wicked sounding stuff doing this on nonstandard sources.

3 Likes

Any example?

I finally figured out how to get my Bluetooth headset working, and made an horrendous, but funky beat in 10 minutes at the pub. This app is superfun.

3 Likes

I’m happy to report that after the latest update things seem to be working properly. I had one incident with the distortion but other than that it’s working pretty damn well. I can even do the stems thing, which none of my hardware or other software can do. So that’s pretty damn cool.

2 Likes

Is there a way to use Koala as sort of a Blackbox replacement with quantized sampling? Even if I can just tie the record button to a midi note from my Oxi One that would work.

1 Like

It looks like yes

I just took a look at the MIDI mapping and it looks like you can since it’s there as a mappable destination. So you can probably send a MIDI note for that.

1 Like
1 Like

Here is a video I put together to show how I use Koala inside of Drambo:

7 Likes

3 Likes