Koala Sampler App

Very cool. Just bought samurai iap too. I think this warrants booting up my old iphone to turn into a permanent koala device

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly support this. I have a collection of old iPhones I inherited from my daughters (my 3 sons are 100% Android but both daughters are 100% Apple). They came to me in need of screen repair, but I got pretty good at that :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t often work with apps, so don’t know this: What’s the easiest to get samples into the Koala app, besides through the mic?

In iOS, AudioShare app, or from videos. It’s probably the same for Android.

1 Like

Yeah, Android is just through browsing through files - as far as I know there’s no auditioning then like with AudioShare on iOS

AudioShare has been hit or miss for me. Probably user error, but often when I import .wav files from a folder in iCloud, for some reason they end up with the extension “.wav.icloud” and are unplayable. Some work fine. Not sure why some are importing fine and some aren’t. Maybe I should dump some files into Dropbox and import from there.

Anyway, thanks. Bitchin’ app, by the way.

Copy them to the audio share folder. No icloud sync with audioshare

1 Like

On iOS devices i always use screen capture to grab whatever audio I want, then use the ‘import video’ option in koala… makes it dead simple to sample from any source that can play audio on your iPhone/ipad.

5 Likes

You can just import .wavs from the files app. You can do this by hitting the mic button in koala and then choosing import file… essentially changes your sample mode to import. When you hit a pad, it’ll bring up the files app and you can load anything from there.

2 Likes

It’d be cool if there was mute solo and an arp. Love this app.

You can do all that within AUM now thanks to the AUv3

Cool workflow! Thanks! I didn’t know that’s possible. The screen capture app is a little bit hidden…

2 Likes

just made a fun skin, love that you can do this

18 Likes

is the screen recorder in mono or stereo?

I’ve been getting really into Koala recently and a lot of it has to do with a new sample management app I downloaded on a whim called SampleCrate. Highly recommend looking into it.

Also, by total accident, I discovered that each sequence can be double tapped and (lightly) edited. Truly a “I can’t believe I didn’t know that existed” moment. I’ve also discovered the joy of sequencing Koala with Xequence 2 via AUM and/or Audiobus. I’ve barely even scratched the surface of my ios set-up, but Koala is a big part of it.

It only took about a decade, but I think I finally love making music on my iPad. Now I need to find the prefect piece of hardware to sequence/interface with it, sheesh.

4 Likes

Everyone seems to reference Audioshare as the go to app for this kind of thing … did you try that. I’m on the verge of getting Audioshare. Mind you, so cheap, I could get them both.

1 Like

I have AudioShare, and sometimes use it to record my own samples and as a repository for my AUM stems/listening to .wavs, etc. I admit, I haven’t explored everything that it’s capable of, so some of my apps may very well be redundant.

What drew me to SampleCrate was the ability to build “crates” out of samples and then drag and drop them directly into Koala (split screen mode is really wonderful). You can arrange the samples in the “crate” so that when you drag them, they’ll line-up on Koala’s pads in the same configuration. Also in the crate, which I have not messed with yet, is the ability to create sample chains.

All of it is presented in what is essentially a reskinned Files App, so it’s familiar. Tagging samples is easy and effective, you can preview samples in various ways/on various screens.

5 Likes

They can work together. I use both.
Nice thing about samplecrate is you can make samplechains stupid easy in it.
SampleCrate also works with anything the files app works with, so even samples on your NAS isn’t an issue.

2 Likes

SampleCrate is super new. Like past week new.
Developer is super active over on the AB forums now, so if you find issues or have suggestions, he’s all about the feedback now.

1 Like

does it convert the sample chains to proper mono or just give you one side?