Koala Sampler App

Sorry my bad. :woman_facepalming:t6:

Koala + Mozaic = round-robin!

8 Likes

Cool this Pete… :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, mate - it’s all down to Aaron. I just mentioned about wishing it was possible when we were talking on Friday night and by the next morning he’d done done the first version of the script!

1 Like

A little something I did with just sounds from around the house…
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbdbU_6FdpN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I wish we could import a folder or at least several files at once into Koala.

1 Like

We can. Use it in split screen, select all and drag them across. When I copy drum banks over I load all 64 pads in at once.

3 Likes

I tried with no success using Audioshare. I’m on iOS 11.3.1 so it might be the reason.

Also i find it frustrating to not have access to the Play/Record/Tempo buttons on the Sample tab.
It makes it not very convenient to fingerdrum unless you use an external controller.

Ah, I have to admit I’ve only tried it on the latest iOS. I don’t think split screen was introduced until more recently. I find finger drumming on screen pretty awkward but when I do it I always prefer to work on the sequencer (middle) tab because otherwise I tend to accidentally do edit-y things without meaning to!

add files to the “crate”, and export to koala (or whatever).
it also builds sample chains

(i kinda use it as my default files.app now)

5 Likes

Not much to add to this thread but j recently got another iPad Pro (2016, 9.7") and booted up Koala again. Got the Samurai mode unlocked. Put on an MF DOOM background with some visual FX. Imported one of my 64 sample chains… This is incredible!

I love how easy it is to capture perfect loops as well, and how they can be resampled straight onto a pad. And how easy it is to crop/normalise samples. And how easy it is to use the piano roll…

Basically this is an incredible app and I’m so happy to have tried it!

6 Likes

Alas Sample Crate is not available on iOS 11.

Been playing around with a different approach to Eucalyptus, using random single hits to create constantly changing percussive sounds (utilising the same Atom-Mozaic-Koala workflow in AUM).

Hey Koala users,

any1 uses koala in live performances or on stage in a band setting? If yes, do you use it with a midi controller and how stable is it performing live with it?

2 Likes

I’m also curious about this… tempted to get an Akai MPD 218

I’d recommend going for the 226. Enough pads, faders, and knobs to do a complete mapping. It’s a bit more but having the extra presets and banks will go a long way.

The Korg NanoKontrol 2 works really well too. You use the mute and solo buttons as pads.

yeah I have one but I really want bigger, velocity sensitive pads.

I can understand the logic, although considering I’ve barely used Koala so far, I would probably get a 216 first and see if I even use it that much… thanks for the advice <3

The mpd232 made a pretty dope iOS controller. Nice you can edit the controllers right on the device instead of an app/webapp. Should probably pick up one up again.