Least favorite vegetables?

Harsh but true. It’s entirely about the subsidizes and earmarks, we force ethanol for the giveaways to farmers (not much small farms either) not because ethanol is worth the subsidization over other, better things we could do with the funds.

I love grilled corn but currently that worthless corn is being used for my cat litter.

3 Likes

I used to enjoy fresh corn, but people wanted it sweeter, and now it all tastes like that corn-shaped candy you only see at Hallowe’en. I still enjoy products made with field corn (tortillas, etc.) but read labels to avoid HFCS and other corn derivatives. And, yeah, the politics of corn are miserable. It’s a shame this gift from the indigenous peoples of North America has been so abused.

4 Likes

For those interested in going deeper, Charles Mann discusses traditional cultivation techniques (and, IIRC, indirectly pokes some holes in Guns, Germs and Steel) in 1491, a book that seems to have stood up remarkably well despite it’s age and popular appeal.

One of the mind blowing observations that Mann makes is that the Americas were food forests when Europeans arrived. But they could only see tilled fields as agriculture and so tragedy ensued.

3 Likes

Not a big fan of ochra.

I like all peppers except green peppers. Abominations. Ruin anything you put them in.

Had some kabocha squash recently. First squash that I don’t like.

1 Like

This stuff, looks like undergrowth.

1 Like

the temporary relief is that hunger can be quashed for those in third world countries and impoverished nations at a fraction of the cost in relief, the long play is that the human body will weaken genetically if we take away it’s ability to adapt. It’s not a discussion for this thread I’m sorry I brought it up.

I HAVE A CONFESSION - RAW EGGPLANT CAN KISS MY ASS.

1 Like

Who eats raw eggplant? Even if you never cook any of your food, you should just avoid eggplant in that case.

3 Likes

Maybe mizuna? It looks like a few different plant species are in the picture. I’m actually into that shit! :slight_smile:

I eat pretty much everything though. I’m a true omnivore.

Oh absolutely, that work was never really intended to be accurate so much as champion a specific just-so narrative (independent of how it was marketed, i was certainly assigned it for a university class.)

I also hear 1493 is similarly excellent!

2 Likes

Fennel

Ever try a sabich sandwich with fried eggplant, a good eggplant parm or those slender Chinese eggplants cut into 1" pieces and stir-fried with garlic and ginger until the skin almost blisters and the flesh becomes creamy and almost melts in your mouth?!

2 Likes

Oh yes, for sure, all of them whenever I can! But none of those use raw eggplant.

3 Likes

Oh sorry, yes that sounds like an awful idea. Isn’t also some ajvar made with roasted eggplant?

3 Likes

spring salad my rear, spike salad.

I like seaweed

5 Likes

Confirmed, nori is delicious as are the many other preparations of seaweed.

Also, I have no direct experience, but I’m told that the USCG does not love the sweet leaf.

Also, also: seaweed good on my plate, bad wrapped around my keel and rudder.

3 Likes

Are y’all talkin bout arugula aka rocket? I like it on pizza sometimes. I grew some a few years ago and it did so well that I realized I don’t really like it or that only so many times I could eat an arugula salad.

I think eggplant probably suffers the most from bad preparation. One chewy bitter slab of eggplant could turn a person off for life.

1 Like

Indeed delicious. Like all seaweed I’ve eaten so far. But beware getting too stuck into hijiki.
Contains significant amounts of inorganic arsenic, as I was delighted to read on the back of a massive empty packet that I had just demolished.
Unsurprisingly, this is not a good thing.

3 Likes

Spring mix

1 Like

is this T-Pain behind the scenes of I’m On A Boat?

2 Likes