Least favorite vegetables?

+1 for bell pepper. Had to look up the word in english. As chili lover ( and addict) just looking at a bell pepper makes me sad.

Wow. I didn’t realize so many people hated bell peppers. They’re one of my favorite vegetables. More for me!

I can’t stand brussels sprouts - they taste metallic to me, no matter how they are prepared. They also smell vile while cooking. I’ve tried to like kale for a decade and I can’t - it’s too bitter usually, and if it’s in soups it gets slimy (like many greens). I also want to like beets, but they just taste like dirt. I can eat them pickled, but I haven’t tried another method of preparation that I liked.

If seaweed counts, seaweed. It actually makes me gag. The texture, the smell, everything about it sends my body into in “reject this poison” mode. I love sushi but if the seaweed is too chewy I have a hard time eating it. I blame the fact that I grew up in the most landlocked part of the United States.

1 Like

Oh yes, love it. Only reason fennel is my least favourite is, that I end up wasting most of it in my everyday life

Cucumbers. I mean, I can’t even stand the smell of cucumbers. And just like with watermelon, I’m the only person I know that can’t stand cucumbers. Especially during the long, hot, humid summers here in South Carolina, who doesn’t love a cool cucumber salad or a nice cold, juicy slice of watermelon? THIS GUY, THAT’S WHO!

But pickles? I’ll eat pickles all day long.

Some veggies I like cooked but not raw, specifically bell peppers and celery.

Choked on a pea shell at 4 years old. Never liked them since. Won’t go near ‘em.

Now 40.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist.

Broad beans (fava) without their ‘cases’ removed, otherwise.

Frisée? Or something else?

Eggplant roasted, mashed, spiced with garlic, lemon and salt… very nice on fresh baguette :wink:

1 Like

A nice spring mix! Scrumptious!

Frisee is a curly endive, no? Escarole which is also an endive use to be easy to find but has fallen out of fashion is seems. It use to always be included in minestrone soup in the USA. Frisee for some reason is very pricy here.

One lettuce which I grew for my girlfriend that is hard to find, is mache, which seems to be a staple in France.

Iceberg lettuce, the American salad default is pretty lame except as a wedge salad which is a salad classic and oddly hearty. But, a good blue cheese on most things is hard to not love…

1 Like

Iceberg lettuce bores me. I’ll eat it, but there’s no flavor.

1 Like

Water isn’t a flavor?! Try growing some with Lacroix pamplemousse.

Iceberg with chick peas and mushrooms. Fantastic salad!

Thrown in some fresh radishes for the win!

2 Likes

Arugula? I can see why people don’t like it, but I’m OK with it. When I eat it, I feel like I’m demonstrating tolerance or grit.

Me, I can’t stand most forms of onions. Garlic is fine, but onions nooo. They do something weird to me where I can’t get rid of their smell from my body for 12 hours, and I get thirsty and lethargic after eating them.

Hate how zucchini seems to get cold instantly as soon as you’re done cooking it, and then it’s just flavorless slime. I’m pretty meh on spaghetti and butternut squash but roasted acorn squash with butter and cinnamon is pretty alright.

Jerusalem Artichoke ala “fartichokes”. Large amount of indigestible sugars (insulin).

One of my least favorite foods for my gut beyond escolar (the fish), neither of which you’re supposed to ingest in large amounts but i’ve gotten both served to me in maybe not unsafe in a toxic sense but… inadvisable portions.

Also not a super fan of milk sugars in beer, there’s a trend to add too much to create “milk stouts” and boooo to that. Haven’t had to ask the spouse to sleep on the couch but i have made recommendations for them to avoid certain brewing tropes :slight_smile:

PSA: A GMO IS NOT A VEGETABLE

please try and eat non gmo food - vegetables or otherwise - as it is proven better for your health even if you don’t care about the connotations of or the politics surrounding GMO products.

My optimistic view is that GMO foods may be like the DX7: overused and hard to program but with a lot of hidden potential. Ideally, farmers would have desktop gene sequencers and gene synthesizers (actually a thing) and develop their own local GMOs. The current practice of single-source monoculture GMOs seems deeply unwise.

I’m largely low-carb in the US (where I live), but I can eat bread and pasta all day long in Europe and rice and pasta and pastries all day long in Asia. Hundreds of millions to billions would starve or at least suffer from malnutrition without GMOs, so I’m hopeful that we can get beyond the bad ones we have now to something good. Climate change is going to really mess with agriculture, so we may not have a choice.

For the purpose of this thread, I’ll nominate corn. I actually enjoy eating corn, corn chips and other corn products. But HFCS makes me nauseous, Corn-ethanol in gas consumes more petroleum overall than plain gasoline (and also fucks up small displacement engines), etc.

This may get me kicked out of Chicago, but we need far less corn in the US than we currently produce.

3 Likes

These are both godlike foods and there’s usually one or other or both in the fridge. Baba ganoush is more or less delice d’aubergines round these parts too.

2 Likes

Agreed in principle, nuance wise I’d prefer if we focused on less large industrial farms than “GMO” specifically, Non/GMO “organic” relatively meaningless certified factory farms and promoted healthier ecosystems.

I’d also love if there were better delivery coops, but each has its problems due to scale and participation and varying climates/seasons.

I love the stuff i get from farmers markets and Seattle’s Pike Place market, but markets aren’t open in the winter and i don’t want to wrangle traffic or bus there weekly.

3 Likes