Make Noise/Soundhack Spectraphon

And I’m hoping it’s that low

2 Likes

Im thinking 800usd

1 Like

It’s possible but it is DSP, not analog - there’s a point where the cost doesn’t really make sense - even £500 puts it on par with something like a SWN which I’d argue is a more interesting sound source. It is just a VCO after all.

But yea it’s certainly possible haha

1 Like

I’m just imagining the response for if they did that- not your suggestion

1 Like

This potentially opens the door to a bunch of other DSP modules too, and maybe even the 0-tape that everyone seems to want…

3 Likes

$599

And more info here:

8 Likes

Interesting. The Rossum Panharmonium has been on my radar for a little while. Looks like this may be quite a different approach to resynthesis. Interested to see how they will compare

Ugh, they wrote like a full novel about it. If I wanted to read, I’d go to school.

4 Likes

Joke response - Too bad - this makes the Telharmonic obsolete. Worse than obsolete, honestly they will probably stop working and bust any case where they are plugged in. If anybody with a black Telharmonic wants to save a trip to the dump, I’ll pay you the postage to send it to me* - I love any excuse to visit the landfill.

My real response - my first reaction was ‘oh dang an oscillator’ but now that I see that it is fed by other audio sources and could also be considered an effect, there’s a higher chance it will make it into my case (now I just have to free up 25% of my case…). I’m going to be watching closely to see the pitch range and whether there’s any latency.

*Seriously, though I’ll pay up to MSRP for that B&G Telharmonic :slight_smile:

1 Like

cross-post from the Analog heat + FX thread is what I wish the +fx would have included:

8H

So we were all kind of right?

2 Likes

Hey there little buddy! Assuming those are even- and odd-type outputs, how cute.

While I might still be in the market for a Mimeophon (though I’ve been pretty amazed in rediscovering Gauss on iPad in its place), I think I’ll be watching this new one from a distance for now…

1 Like

Okay, this looks really, really powerful at any rate. New platform = FPGA? Curious what’s under the hood.

10 Likes

A whole bunch of technical information in the PC article linked by @elxsound upthread.

3 Likes

just simple arm cortex 7)

2 Likes

Just watched this video… and I want this.

I’m thinking finally time to say goodbye to Mindphaser. I still need to find another 4hp to make it fit, but I really like this one.

2 Likes

Same size as Rene… Who needs sequencing anyway??!

2 Likes

Wow, Make Noise are pretty much the only company that consistently blow my mind when they release something new. Thing looks and sounds nuts.

8 Likes

Did you actually get one? I kind of gave up waiting for them to actually get produced. But yeah, this Spectraphon module looks amazing and sounds amazing. I’m not sure it needed to be a dual oscillator, but what do I know?

I kinda want this thing but it’s gigantic, definitely looking forward to more in depth videos, so far it sounds pretty rad as a vocoder type thing but I’d love to hear it as a more standard synth voice as well