Make Noise/Soundhack Spectraphon

I have one, bought from Perfect Circuit before they announced an end to production.

Hopefully they start up again through Erica Synths like they have with some other Hexinverter modules.

3 Likes

I think it feels like a pretty well contained module curious to see some small cases built around it, you shouldnā€™t need a lot on top of it to build an interesting instrument.

2 Likes

In this video, Walker also mentions a new full system configuration on the way (maybe the configuration heā€™s using here? with Morphagene up top, XPO, etc.) as well as a new power board and CV bus for the case.

The power board in particular is a mega upgrade ā€” from 1.5A to 4A, with those 4A split into four 1A zones so you can strategize how you want to distribute power across modules.

4 Likes

looks and sounds very, very cool. also cool to hear tom erbe got some time on a buchla touchƩ (via david rosenboom) in the process of making this

loved the back half of the brett naucke video. they should give one to kaitlyn aurelia smith to explore

1 Like

Groundbreaking! This will lure many back to the alter of eurorack.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsGLofEMvIS/

Tried to look up Spectraphon but got this instead (and I think I prefer it):

Yeah. So neato!! Iā€™m stoked. Every new demo has a new unconventional function it does. Anyone catch what the ā€œFocusā€ knob is for? Really looking forward to hearing the Tom Erbe interview. He must be proud.

drums into this thing sound mental, kudos to Tom and Make Noise

3 Likes

See from 1:50 in the Sonic State video above, where Walker explains it can set the bandwidth of the different incoming partials.

3 Likes

This actually sounded far more interesting than I expected. Maybe one dayā€¦

2 Likes

Sarah Belle Reidā€™s detailed walkthrough:

9 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s a software plugin alternative for what it does?

There are some additive and/or resynthesis VSTs like Loom II (off the top of my head) but nothing that replicates the Make Noise module 100%.

Is that not autotune?

Something like Unfiltered Audioā€™s SpecOps is something Iā€™ve been exploring (very minimally) as a VST approach too, and as it has a lot of modulation options, it might prove at least fun to try along the way.

(Handily, SpecOps is one of those plugins that is fairly often eligible for one of Plugin Allianceā€™s voucher sales, so it was also effectively free).

1 Like

This is a module that i would need to live with before i could really understand it, but is definitely something you can come to grips with.

I like this video because it gives a sense of the process of learning Spectraphon.

1 Like

Different reactionsā€¦ for me, this and the Reverb video were ones I stopped partway through, because they were too fumbling or uninformed. But Iā€™m not expecting to purchase this (I think it needs an in-rack sample player, Morphagene or the like, and I donā€™t have one), so my current needs arenā€™t the same. I watched the Cinematic Laboratory video twice, because it was so gorgeous, but if I were about to buy one, that video would not be top of my list in terms of personal usefulness.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sold on the dual VCO mode, sounds really interesting but for the other mode processing external sound I havenā€™t heard anything i like yet ā€¦
Itā€™s also very big, but i like the attenuverter and big knobs on (almost) everything !

1 Like

You can add sonic statesā€™ video to that list of fumbling or uninformed.

The Cinematic Lab one is absolutely great, but as alwaysā€¦ nothing is for everyone.

The Lightbath one I thought was more for playing around with getting different sounds and discovering sweet spots (which could be source sound dependent when used as a processor).

Sample Playback needed unless you want it as a live tool, or if you are patching non-recorded material from drum/synth modules. I would think itā€™s somewhat limiting without sample playback.

1 Like