Miserable git moans about gear design

It’s a bold choice of colour, for sure and kinda undermines the UI as it’s hard to see anything against a backdrop that rivals the big bang in intensity.

Great synth though.

2 Likes

What happens when all the amorphous Elektron stickers that came with your Model:Cycles come to life.

1 Like

Twice

1 Like

Eurorack is problematic period. Shit is way too small and cramped. When you add functional density it’s even worse. For example Doepfer is generally functionally sparse whereas Make Noise is the other end.

Harvestman is functionally dense but the panels are great. It’s like evil Buchla. Intellijel is somewhere in the middle of functional density. Love their panels as well.

Buchla’s panels are amazing but they suffer from obscure terminology.

I’d totally get back into modular if all the euro builders started making 4u/buchla format where the minimum width panel is reasonable and there aren’t 37,000 panel widths. And … Bananas!

2 Likes

To bring my comments more “on topic”… back in the day I spent close to 6 million dollars on grayscale panels for make noise modules I hadn’t even purchased. I have no modules but still have a maths v2 and a bunch of modDemix grayscale panels just in case. Ha.

2 Likes

ha?

Huh? :grinning:

The “ha” was me laughing at the silliness of my actions.

1 Like

I think Bastl and Make Noise specifically enjoy making interfaces that encourage exploration rather than methodology. how many times do you just sit in front of a synth find the vcos, detune, find the filter set a base level of harmonic content and make the same patch you make on every other synth to get the lay of the land. Make Noise wants to force you out of that mindset and give you a taste of being complete noob again. that first taste of creation and satisfaction of wrangling something alien. It’s not bad design necessarily. it’s antagonistic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m kind of surprised you all have spared Folktek in this thread. I think they have some of the best weird synths out there. Seems like something you would love to hate.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 11.31.23 PM

2 Likes

That bottom one looks like the sort of thing you’d find on Jane Fonda’s windowsill.

7 Likes

There’s the miserable git we all know :grin:

1 Like

Am I wrong though?

2 Likes

Yes you’re wrong.

It’s Martha Stewart’s window sill :wink:

2 Likes

I mentioned them earlier :slight_smile:

Folktek gets a pass from me, because even though their designs are obtuse they have a cohesive design ecosystem to them, and presented as handcrafted artworks as much as electronic equipment. Ciat Lombarde is similar.

2 Likes

Also, the ad in your post reminds me that this might be the most beautifully desgned electronic instrument ever. I feel lucky to have one.

8 Likes

Symmetrical, therefore boss.

3 Likes

My buddy used to do assembly for folktek weird stuff indeed

1 Like

A reference to the sort of concept-heavy art they dig which influences their instrument design as much as aesthetic.

2 Likes

You know what really grinds my gears?

When I’ve been working on dialling in a new sound with lots of modulation and I’m really getting happy with it, and then whoops, I accidentally turn the patch selector knob and then it’s gone forever. I’ve experienced this with the Sequential Pro3, Rev2 and the Minilogue XD.

I know, I know, it’s my own fault, but I can’t help but think it would be better if maybe those knobs were more obviously different and possibly lockable.

Damn its been 2 years since this thread was active? Feels like it was up just a month ago. How do I slow down the expendency of my life?
Ah relief, it’s only been a year…shit not much better.

5 Likes