Moog Moogerfooger Plugins

Indeed, the drive sounds pretty far off.
Does not mean that they are not useful, of course.

I bought these plugins, but on a side note, cytomic the drop also sounds awesome when driven and is a really good filter

1 Like
1 Like

I have the 103 Phaser IRL, and I bought the vst bundle.

They sound very close. Same controls generate the same sound.

Maybe Iā€™m biased for hardware, but I feel like the real one just got that warmth and juice.

ymmv

bought the plugin setā€¦
not entirely smooth, but finally got it working (mac, ilok , ableton).

should combine with shaperbox 3 ā€¦ iā€™ve gone crazy buying plugins todayā€¦

1 Like

tried the demos, to me they sound a bit harsh, not as round as the real ones (at least compared to the 101, 102 and 108), the Freq box has som nasty digital distortion when switching to Sync Mode, the same problem with the phaser when switching to high lfo speed. It gets better, when switching the Project from 48 to 96 kHz, but I wish they would use internal oversampling, so the rest of the project could run at 48 kHz to save CPU-Time.

Im not decided yet if they are worth it.

Just upgraded to Shaperbox 3 and really liking the changes.

Feel a bit silly for asking, as a ladder-head, but which of the types on the auto filter is based on a Moog? Iā€™ve never been hugely satisfied with the sounds I get out of the autofilter, itā€™s one of the main things that peaked my interest with this bundle.

Edit: Nvm the info panel has this info, I just needed to read it! the ā€˜PRDā€™ type is based on a ladder circuit. Well Iā€™ll be damned, I donā€™t think I really use that one very oftenā€¦ trying it nowā€¦ not doing it for me. I think Iā€™m a filter snob.

Wanted to try the trial but itā€™s installing all kinds of crap on my machine and is forcing me to create an account with a company called ā€˜ilokā€™.

Pass.

Interesting, do you own the originals . I wonder why moog didnā€™t send out the beta to real world users and general Moog pedal hardware users. And get the feedback?
Too much work? Creation of extra work ?
Your feedback on oversampling is interesting and helpful. ( context: something like Solo Rack which has insane over sampling and I can really hear the differences)

Yep! I was thinking about those as soon as I read the thread headline.
They were pretty good fun and sounded great!

yes, i have the 101, 102 and 108 in hardware, but I can hear the digital ā€œharshnessā€ without comparing them. Its obvious in the software itself. I asked the support if they plan any oversampling feature.

Does anyone else notice this? Do you hear differences when running with 48 and 96 kHz (high LFO speeds, Freq sync etc.)?

On a gearslutz thread a couple of years ago I learned that the ring modā€™s lfo sine wave was actually a triangle. I wonder if theyā€™ve kept that or corrected it?!

Iā€™m still missing the ā€œthey donā€™t sound as 3D as the hardwareā€ remarks :wink:

1 Like

Anyone compare these to the free moogerfooger plugins you get with Pro Tools? I just noticed them last night after doing an update.

I havenā€™t got to play with these much but Iā€™ve abused the crap out of their UAD filter plugins, best filter in software IMO.

I grabbed them knowing there has to be a gem or 6 in the bunch.

Activated them at least until my studio is back together and I have time.

I did notice that the GUI looks a little ā€œlow resā€ on these plugins. I know that it wonā€™t matter soundwise but my eyes are sensitive to pixelated graphics. Itā€™s like an itch I canā€™t scratch, just bugging me a little and distracting me. Hope they improve it in an update.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well, judging by the 5 minutes about the ring modulator in the above video, it certainly gains an interesting stereo setting which certainly wins over the hardware. Plus the tempo-synced lights look nice, and not unhelpful.

But. ā€œI love that there was no real ringing going onā€. Hmm. Tbh the tiny bit of actual ring mod ringing we get to hear does just sound a bit generic digital. Reminded me of the ring mod on the Nord electro 2 I used to have.

Plus, only skipped through whole thing, but didnā€™t learn anything about the drive, which is what I mostly use it for.

OTOH, there are some of them I would be interested in trying, 'cos I think I now better understand what they can do than I did when I got the ring mod.

Moog just emailed me to say that Iā€™ve got the new MF-109S saturator plugin for free as I bought the bundle- worth checking your iLok account if you bought it too!

2 Likes

Nothing really new, but a very convenient addition. The 109 is essentially the just the drive circuit of all the rest of the MFs ā€” but with an envelope follower on front (and noise because why not?) Makes it really useful for stand-alone saturation (obviously). But because the MF env followers can also go negative, having it attached to drive opens it up to compression/transient-shaping possibilities. And it has all the CV connectivity of the rest of the MF line, so lots of options there.

Just a utility, but a useful one.

2 Likes