Moog Sub 37

Yea this is pretty cool news, good to see they listen to what their customers want.
A module would be ideal though, due to the obvious cost and space issues with chaining a 37 with SP’s. I’m sure they’d be snapped up by existing users.[/quote]
This was the progression in the evolution of the Little Phatty:
Little Phatty Tribute Edition - the original model, with wood sides and signature panel.
Little Phatty Stage Edition - $100 cheaper than Tribute edition. No wood sides or sig. panel.
Little Phatty Stage II - Upgrade of Stage with USB, arpeggiator, etc.
Slim Phatty - Module-only Little Phatty.
I think we’ll see a module-only version eventually. No idea how many years we have to wait though for it. I think we’ll see a Sub 37 Stage Edition first, though, before the module.
Voyager will not be replaced, for reasons already cited, until they come up with another $3000 synth. [/quote]
Yup, it seems like they’re building up to it, with the Phatty line as an experiment.

Makes me imagine a Sub XL version with an attached vx-352 type patch panel.

Yea this is pretty cool news, good to see they listen to what their customers want.
A module would be ideal though, due to the obvious cost and space issues with chaining a 37 with SP’s. I’m sure they’d be snapped up by existing users.[/quote]
Little Phatty Tribute Edition - the original model, with wood sides and signature panel.
Little Phatty Stage Edition - $100 cheaper than Tribute edition. No wood sides or sig. panel.
I think we’ll see a module-only version eventually. No idea how many years we have to wait though for it. I think we’ll see a Sub 37 Stage Edition first, though, before the module.
Voyager will not be replaced, for reasons already cited, until they come up with another $3000 synth. [/quote]
Yup, it seems like they’re building up to it, with the Phatty line as an experiment.[/quote]
EDIT: Sorry, I misread your response the first time.

There has been no Phatty yet with 44 or more keys, minimum 8 CV outputs, a true 3rd oscillator (not just 2 oscillators plus sub osc), assignable XY touchplate with finger area sensitivity, etc. So it would be interesting to see what Moog comes up with as a replacement for the Voyager.

My guess though is that they’re going to keep making the Voyager. I can see why some people might think this model is “unloved”, but it does have its fans.

Yup, it seems like they’re building up to it, with the Phatty line as an experiment.[/quote]
EDIT: Sorry, I misread your response the first time.

There has been no Phatty yet with 44 or more keys, minimum 8 CV outputs, a true 3rd oscillator (not just 2 oscillators plus sub osc), assignable XY touchplate with finger area sensitivity, etc. So it would be interesting to see what Moog comes up with as a replacement for the Voyager.

My guess though is that they’re going to keep making the Voyager. I can see why some people might think this model is “unloved”, but it does have its fans.[/quote]
Yeah, I guess I wasn’t very clear, but I agree with both your points: it won’t be replaced by the Phatty line, unless they come up with some new version of Voyager that incorporates all the new goodies while maintaining the old, for a new flagship. At least that’s what I would do…

Or go 6 notes paraphonic with a Vger MkII

When the non-tribute is released, they should just pay the Austin Powers people for the name and call it the Phat Bastard.

If the non-Tribute has the brushed metal panel (which I love) of the Sub Phatty then I’ll be pissed for a few seconds and then desperately want one.

Brushed metal looking laminate :confused:

Good point… but I still think it looks a lot better than the black and easier to read. :slight_smile:
Incidentally, I also prefer the MD/MnM finish to the that of the OT/A4 etc. I’ve never really warmed to black instruments, and whilst I know that shouldn’t make a blind bit of difference, I know I’m drawn to play and experiment more on something with a bit more light/colour.

ok…they got me…i preordered today from the german distributor. :wink:

Anyone wants my SP?

Enjoy! Looks like it will be quite the beast.

So I’m wondering how limited it will actually be. Do you guys reckon it would be safe to pre-order in April for this kinda thing?

I guess it’s hard to say, just wondering how quick these things usually go?

Hi all, long time lurker, first post. I just paid for my Sub 37 yesterday based on the following info I had gather from Moog, Guitar Center, Sweetwater and my local Synth Boutique shop -

Moog says (I called them direct) that they’re making 1000 of these in two batches. The first batch, to be delivered to retailers in May and to customers who ordered direct from Moog, have already all been allocated. So If you want one in May, you got to call a retailer that has some allocated to them and make a purchase before they sell out of their allotment. Otherwise, the next batch will go out end of August/beginning of September.

So I called ControlVoltage in Portland Oregon (local boutique shop) and they haven’t got any word on when they are getting the Sub 37 in, meaning they did not get an allotment of them this first go around.

So I reluctantly called Guitar Center and had to talk to several different people before I got a straight answer. Here in the U.S., they claim they are getting the largest allotment for May out of any other retailers, and that number is only 50 of them. They have about 220 stores, but with an allotment of only 50, only their major city stores (like the Hollywood, CA store) will have them, if they don’t presell them all by phone before-hand. And so far, they had sold 35 by phone. Mine being the 36th. So that means there are only 14 left as of yesterday in the largest U.S. retailer’s allotment… at least based on all of this info I got yesterday. Not sure how accurate any of it is or if it will change, but to be on the safe side, I paid for mine so I am guaranteed to get the Sub 37 Tribute in the first shipment which, according to both Guitar Center and Moog themselves, is May 23rd. I am happy.

Then today, out of curiosity, I spoke with Sweetwater (second largest U.S. Retailer?) and they said they’ve got 200 allocated to them, but spread out 50 at a time over the next several months (50 for May, 50 for June, etc.) and that they’ve already pre-sold the first two batches of 50. Also, they said Moog was just in their offices on Tuesday and that Moog informed them that they’re not even in Production yet. Production begins first week of May. Don’t know what that does for a May 23rd delivery date. Seems like that’s cutting it close…

So, it looks like you will not be able to walk into a retailer any time before Summer (at least in the U.S.) and buy a Sub 37; you’ll need to order one now, and make sure it’s not just a “pre-order” (e.g., Sweetwater are taking “pre-orders” now, but no delivery until Fall since the first two allotments are already spoken for, where as GuitarCenter are taking straight-up orders for their few remaining allotment in the first shipment.)

Hope that helps…

Good info there. I actually have 1 of the first few Sweetwater pre-orders, or at least im told so.

My sales guy at Sweetwater went ahead and put me on the pre-order list the day that it was available, without even asking me! I called him when i noticed. I was checking on my AK pre-order and saw a random order for 1499$ so i shot my sales guy a call. He then informed me that he knew id want one and just wanted to make sure that i got one. I was obviously cool with this and told him to keep the order in. Im hoping that i can get in on the first shipment, although my girlfriend is hoping they sell out before it reaches my number. hah

Glad to hear you got your order in, although i slightly feel like we are both just paying a few extra bucks for wood end cheeks. I assume these will be made available in major production runs with varying levels of differences… mostly aesthetic im sure.

Oh well. Looks like its going to be a really fun synth. Wish we could get more videos of it that are not at conventions.

Edit: Also: good first post. Welcome.

Thanks! And yes, from what I understand, after this Tribute Edition, there will be the standard/stage edition coming next year… but I happen to like wood (like my Waldorf Microwave XTk has) and I just had to get this, my first Moog synth; it’s exactly what I’ve been waiting for from Moog!

such a wonderful instrument… :heart:

If the Voyager Old School is anything to go by though,Moog may well mark a lot more of these than they initially say … Especially if it’s selling well & demand is high. That’s what happened with the VOS.

Got the 4 elektron boxes and now have to decide if it’s going to be the sub37 Ltd (on preorder List) or the AR.

Totally different machines i know but i’m lusting for both.
Only money for one this Year.

How would you decide? (No other synths besides a microkorg)

Sub37 for sure.

Good to hear this kind of advice here :slight_smile:
I think i can still get the Rytm in a Year or two.
Never had a moogish synth but i love the Sound and the knobs…