New Elektron announcement at Musikmesse (2014, Overbridge announcement)

All the analog boxes — AR, AK, A4 — have USB ports on them. Also, because of the digital FX, there are some ADCs inside of them.

I wonder if the Overbridge provides functionality much like the Access Virus TI has i.e. MIDI/Audio inputs and software integration via VST/AU. Perhaps the ADCs inside the boxes allow them to to pipe digital audio out directly?

We know Elektron have been sneaky with the Drive+ in the A4. I wouldn’t be surprised :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know what would be cool?

A dedicated modular hardshell case in varying sizes for any combo of Elektron boxes.

Not a glorified gig bag (as we have now) but something for more serious touring use.

And please keep all logos discreet on the outside, no need for excessive branding while waiting for your case at luggage pickup or at customs.

Where is the Elektron Eurorack stuff? :sob: Well on the other hand…some ppl will be happy with this integration thing. It’s just that I started building my first Eurorack system and it would have been awesome if Elektron would release some Euro-modules now that I am obsessed with it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OK, so the sending of individual audio outs from the A4 over USB is very cool.
I wonder if this will also cover easy sample transfer to the RYTM.

It’s a shame its not for the OT. An OT app that let you manage your samples would be killer. I really don’t need a computer integration app for my other boxes because the whole point of them for me is to use them without a computer. Obviously not everyone is in the same boat. But still, nothing to moan about really. Not due till 4th quarter as well so theres plenty of time to speculate away lol.

I don’t use a computer for music, so this is absolutely of no interest to me.

However, I bet there’s tons of kids out there who will find it extremely handy.

Yes I was also hoping for some kind of OT editor manger tool. I don´t really need it for my A4 but who knows, might be a great thing

Didn’t notice the audio streaming. That’s pretty cool. Essentially 4 outputs now which will be nice. Might make the next album a bit easier and a bit more hands on.

Wondering why they left out the OT. I think this would have been most useful for the OT. Not really interested because I want to use the computer as little as possible when making music. Recording individual tracks could be interesting but I prefer to finish everything in the box and just record the stereo out from my mixer. But it’s probably a good way to attract new target groups…

Tons of "pros’ that use DAW for our plethora of hardware synths, guitar, et al, and the ‘industry standard’ of such as Pro Tools, of which every production studio uses if you are making music ‘compositions’ you wish to get signed/published–fact. Reason Access Virus Ti is also used widely because of this hardware integration. This hopefully will provide ‘full midi support’ out/in via USB. This is great news!

1 Like

Wondering why they left out the OT. I think this would have been most useful for the OT. Not really interested because I want to use the computer as little as possible when making music. Recording individual tracks could be interesting but I prefer to finish everything in the box and just record the stereo out from my mixer. But it’s probably a good way to attract new target groups…[/quote]
Imagine if the OT could do the audio streaming. I’d give my left nut for an OT with essential 8 individual stereo outs.

Interesting! Even if don’t use a computer anymore…

Bi-directional USB audio streaming
Overbridge makes multi tracking easy. Connect a USB cable and record multiple Elektron machine voices to separate DAW tracks in 24 bit quality. Or send audio from a DAW, process it with the analog circuitry of the Elektron machines and bring back the results to a new DAW track – all over a single USB cable and without timing issues. Overbridge even allows the Analog range of machines to be used as multi-channel USB sound cards.

1 Like

Hell yeah!!! This what I was waiting for. I wish you could also do it on MNM MD and OCTATRACK.

this is a phenomenal achievement imo… elektron are officially the universal kings of software updates… i’m saying this and i don’t even own a A4/AK/AR… the coolest thing imo is the 2 way streaming… i love hardware for jamming but tracking is the most annoying thing. it also seems like this will allow A4 users to circumvent the lack of individual outputs and finally be able to process externally the different tracks in real-time… this has been one of the biggest requests/gripes about A4… and Elektron have figured out a brilliant solution… I can’t help but imagine the Roland AIRA USB Audio feature has something to do with this breakthrough/announcement, but all the better… another good example why competition is a good thing…

1 Like

Im pretty excited about this to be honest. Im generally pretty lazy and not methodical when it comes to playing with the A4. I have tonnes of patterns that I forget whats what, tempo’s etc. DAW integration would make life easier for me. I use a computer a fair bit so quite happy with this. Clip controlled automation over USB within Live sounds great to me. And I presume instant recall of presets within projects and the likes will be on the cards. I actually think this is a great announcement as long as we dont end up with some SoundTower Tetra editor piece of shit!

BUT, this kind of kills off a huge part of the OT to me. An A4 fully integrated into Live would deliver much of the same experience of how I currently use my OT. In saying that, it would free up my hands to focus on sampling and thins but if Overbridge works as I think it should then the OT goes on a shoogly peg (for my use, I understand we aint all the same).

A shame the OT isn’t included. That would’ve been cool but Im eager for as much detail as possible as I would most definitely be keen to integrate the A4 cleanly into my Push & Live set up.

I’ve been sorta moving away from using a computer, but TBH the general inconvenience of trying to sequence different bits of hardware and also record them is annoying me. Overbridge is perhaps the kind of thing that’ll push me back to using the computer more.

so…live multitrack audio to DAW via USB … Elektron copying Roland again eh… :wink: :joy:

< lights fuse & runs away. again. >

I’m guessing OT support is missing because there is no support in the hardware for streaming audio to USB. The AK/AR/A4 obviously have components with this kind of streaming in mind.

Even if the OT is already digital — no need for ADCs to go over USB — it’s possible the USB bus internal to the machine isn’t very wide; that would prohibit sending 8 stereo tracks over it. Just guessing mind.

1 Like

Yes, this is awesome! This will free up 2 inputs on my audio interface as well :+1:

yea if the OT isn’t included in the update (and believe me i sure wish it was) it must have to be that the USB, CPU or OS architecture isn’t compatible… A4/AK/AR all seem to share a similar core…