NINA, motorized analog synth from Melbourne Instruments

hard price. the sound is definitely interesting, but i don’t know if it’s really worth that much or if it’s worth spending that much money on. the previous patches weren’t exactly diverse in terms of sound design. a quantum in the same price range seems to offer a lot more sound design options, but no analogue OSCs. and 12 voices with analog osc and wavetables is not bad. just wondering why the patches sound so standard. That’s probably more for rich people who don’t mind.

…i’ve seen flying faders for decades…but still, when i saw nina moving all her knobs for the first time, i was totally impressed and more than just tempted…it looks pretty spooky…

and at this pricetag, i’d say these potis are rocksolid quality…

1 Like

It’s expensive but also innovative. It’s definitely the price for innovation. Furthermore it is hybrid analogue/digital, so the price isn’t outrageous given how expensive the Sequential or Moog synths are. Definitely on my list if I have the budget. And 12 voices, 4 parts. More than a Moog One 8 voice which is double the price.

edit: I’m reading the comments on Loopop video and gosh, people are so cheap…

They are outraged they can’t have that thing for $200 or something, ridiculous…

2 Likes

The loopop video is worth a listen - he gets some pretty excellent sounds out of it, and at least to my ears, the raw sounds of all three oscillators sound great. Solid building blocks as far as I can tell. I watched with my studio monitors on (Adam AX7s & a sub) and some of the patches got pretty thunderous and sounded great, even with YouTube audio compression.

the sound is definitely super nice. no question. it sounds very warm and somehow mixed. i saw the video of loopop. in any case, beautiful sounds come out of it, but I’m sticking with it. if you go purely by the sound design and the price, then in my eyes the quantum is way ahead. as said, the sound of nina is very nice, really good. this also shows how much it matters when something is structured analogously, there are immense differences.

you can also build such a morphpannel with the mk2 elektrons, thanks to the added quickperformance controller.

with nina I will probably have no chance financially.

comparisons don’t necessarily have to be like that. but if i had the money personally, i would buy quantum - if only because of the granular engines and the possibility of physical modeling synthesis. this is a pad monster that sounds very warm and decent due to its analog filters and would feel at home in an analog synthsizer environment.

Got to play one at perfect circuit today- thought it sounded amazing. It was super cool to play, and felt great. Seeing the knobs in motion was cool.

I would absolutely get one if it wasn’t so expensive (but maybe that’s an obvious statement?)

1 Like
4 Likes

I’m impressed by the morph feature which can be heard in demo 1 (5:03)

4 Likes

Locked one at my local store. I just need to decide which Synth(s) I’m going to sell. Heartbreaking choice is coming. It’s expensive but it will replace a lot of things in my current setup. I can see myself with an OT, a Drum Machine, a miniKORG and the NINA.

4 Likes

That’s incredible Tchu. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy this adventure.

Watch for any other information, over the next week with Melbourne Instruments showing at NAMM.

2 Likes

I will clearly enjoy the feel of the hardware and the well thought UI on top of this great sounding and featured Synth.

Thanks for the heads up @Jukka, I sure will. New FW for the NAMM (though they did update it on March 27) or just a demo of this innovative-great-sounding-hardware-Synth?

I don’t have any real idea what they may have to say new, just that the chances of new information with the show is very high. I speculated in the Show of Shows thread the possibility, of MI having a second motorized controls product in the works, for instance.

1 Like

It’s an absolutely incredible synth in every single way. I’m so excited for any updates that may come around.

2 Likes

Holy moly! $$$$!!!

I’d happily pay a not so stupid price for a midi controller with maybe 32 of these pots on it.

8 amp draw… Better keep the jumper cables handy.

:sweat_smile:

Cheers!

Well my Nina stopped making sound! It was working earlier today, now no sound. I contacted support and will see what they say. A little scary considering how much this thing costs…

Did you solve it?

Oh no! I hope it’s nothing serious. Report back please.

I wish I knew what this mean, can you elaborate? Thanks!