Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

IMO their later records that are more band music I guess are their best. Witching Hour & Velocifero are both great, but I do like everything since. They released an album in 2019 and are releasing a new one next year. Hardly forgotten.

2 Likes

Agreed! great band and I also love Witching Hour.

1 Like

At a house party around the time UKJ were a thing. Was a photo of a baby (their relatives kid) on the TV. Someone took a black marker and wrote ‘UGLY KID JOE’ across it.
Everytime I hear this bands name I am taken right back to the instant where someone pointed this ruined photo out to me. I can picture the TV, the scrawled marker, the flower pattered sofa, their green carpet!

Alice Donut!!

Only song ive ever heard with a hair dryer solo.

2 Likes

I find threads like this annoying as so much music is posted and I get too lazy to check most of it but… I spent most of yesterday listening to Prefrab Sprout, who a few people kept telling me to listen to over the years but didn’t Not to quibble @wolf-rami but aren’t they an 80s band? They sort of feel like a bookend to XTC who I guess made most their great albums around that time. Are they considered Blue Eyed Soul? They sound a bit to me like a more interesting Style Council. Appetite is such a great track!

1 Like

Prefab Sprout are a wonderful band. Leo Zero did a subtle but lovely job on this remix of ‘Bonny’ Leo Zero Super Edits - Bonny - Prefab Sprout - YouTube

2 Likes

Bonny is a great song. Is Steve McQueen desirably considered their best album?

1 Like

Personally, Steve McQueen is my favourite album and a close second is From Langley Park to Memphis. Beautiful production on both of those albums, Paddy McAloon’s songwriting skills are also brilliant.

1 Like

It’s your thread :crazy_face:

1 Like

It’s definitely an acquired taste. For years a good friend kept telling me that Prefab Sprout is great. I dismissed him completely, the band had such stupid twee name and sounded very bland to me. I didn’t give a fuck.

Then a few years later something suddenly clicked and I fell head over heels in love with their sound and Paddy’s songwriting. They’ve been active in the 80’s, 90’s, 00’s and 10’s but for me the golden period is in the nineties. Steve McQueen (1985) is usually thought of as their masterpiece but for me it’s definitely Jordan: The Comeback which is from early 90s.

I don’t hear/see the Style Council and blue-eyed soul references. For me Prefab Sprout is first and foremost ”sofisti-pop”, the same stuff that Talk Talk, David Sylvian, Mark Hollis, The Blue Nile and such bands represent. Maybe Tears For Fears, Scritti Politti and such could be mentioned here too. Intelligent pop music movement that got it’s start from the synth pop/ new romantic movement of the early eighties.

4 Likes

Loved this album

1 Like

Welcome to my world. If it feels like your soul is itching it’s perfectly normal.

1 Like

( apologies if any of these links have already been posted on this thread )

6 Likes

Same here.

@IanEye Damn ! .O.rang !!! haven’t listened to them for a while !..

Masada brings back memories too : I had the chance to see it live with a change in the line up, Zorn only directing the band. It was awesome but strangely enough,a lot of people seemed to be disapointed because they had different interpretation VS the ones on the Albums.

Also, don’t know if they’re forgotten now but they’re worth mentioning anyway :

It’s too bad that “Muslimgauze Re-Mixs Masada” project never came together:

Bryn Jones seems to fit the OP in terms of his work in the 90’s, But after Jones passed in 1999, he continued to be quite prolific through the 00’s.

1 Like

Beat by Bowery Electric is just pure perfection! :heart: Still one of my favorite albums!

3 Likes

I have so many questions about Muslimgauze… but I don’t know if he qualifies as it seems like he will always have this sect of super loyal listeners.

A fair point! So, perhaps not “mostly forgotten”.

Like me some god machine. In bad dreams was a right angst weepy for me back in the day. Always thought they were in the same section as James addiction.

1 Like

Also loved pitchshifter - saw them a couple of times back in the day. Actually fainted just after one of their gigs and the guitarist helped me get some air!

2 Likes