Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

Sometimes I have this dream where I’m visiting Fred Durst in an old people’s home. He’s old and frail and can’t really do too much for himself. My job is to piss in his corn flakes, then watch his Grandchildren feed them to him.

I don’t even like corn flakes.

5 Likes

Mr. Bungle, The Cardiacs, Idiot Flesh, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Oh I see, let’s be friends :smiley:

Probably they are not just forgotten (except some), but rather did not get a deserved popularity and appreciation because of music much ahead of the time or too unusual to be non-niche

2 Likes

Loved Ladytron. Remember seeing the video for Seventeen on MTV2. This was back when you get a MS20s for pennies…

4 Likes

OMG so strange to see that single word Snobs - no band name - unfamiliar artwork - but to know it was going to be familiar when I heard it… theythinkthey’rebetterthanyou theythinkthey’rebetterthanyou

1 Like
2 Likes

Such a great track, I saw them a couple of times in the early nineties when they wore the HR Geiger costumes, mind blowing live. They were like an easier to digest Cardiacs I suppose. This version of Snobs is better than the single version they released.

Their sense of humour was top notch, this one’s about walking around Amsterdam with no money “I have no money to pay for pleasure I have got none at all” :slight_smile:

Just one that’s been suggested so far made me think ‘oh shit I’d forgotten about them and they were so well respected’ - as in truly ticking both noteworthy and forgotten - at least for me :

Pram

3 Likes

Yep…but what a thrill it is to discover some obscure, bizarre, challenging music that is inspiring and generous to us and us only ( so we think !)
It’s like finding a treasure or going on an adventure…

Imagine SGM in Vegas…Well…now I do actually.

That’s true!

By the way the did not disappear completely, but all the last dates of their projects were 2016 which is quite recent (or not?)

1 Like

Oh thanks ! Didn’t know about this. Shame on me…

Autolux was one of my favorite bands when I was a teenager. They took a lot lot of influence from shoegaze like My Bloody Valentine in that their live shows were some of the loudest concerts I’ve ever been to still to this day. Love their drummer Carla, very unique approach to the drums.

3 Likes

Yeah. Everyone gave me shit for years about my Polysix, then that video made me the the shit :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So yeah, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum was niche, but this band wasn’t and i’m not sure they are remembered and celebrated as they should …and more precisely Paddy Mcaloon.

Or maybe they are and i don’t know what i’m talking about.

3 Likes

Not forgotten.

https://docs.racket-lang.org/guide/define-struct.html#(part._prefab-struct)

2 Likes

Swoon from 1984 is an amazingly bizarre little pop record.

1 Like

Tell me about it… Just the opening track is still an enigma of musical composition.

Prefab Sprout, one of the all time greatest bands in the world ever. Paddy is a genius.

2 Likes

Ok, this is not a music I would be looking for, but did not hear this name… Or maybe in the recent 15 years. Weird

I fucking loved Pitchshifter (and especially this album) back in the late 90s. Still do actually.

5 Likes

love these old live videos. i guess this is from around 1999.

and the album version:

that album is easily in the top10 of my most played albums ever.

1 Like