Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

5 Likes

Yes, Messiah fan here too. Also Eskimos & Egypt, still got a fair few of their limited edition vinyls

1 Like

Went to see the Warm Jets at King Tut’s coz a friend liked them (I was never a fan). Idlewild were supporting. Must’ve been ‘97 or ‘98. I think they had just released Captain but before Hope is Important. They were nuts. Roddy Woomble rolling around the stage like a man possessed. I was an instant convert. Was a big fan up till 100 broken windows (which was a great album) but lost interest once they started to embrace folk.

Saw Rocket from the Crypt a few times around then. They were great at that time too.

3 Likes
9 Likes

This thread is awesome, and it makes me sad to think if we made this list for the past 12 years there would be nothing because… I think there are no more bands?

Just #content

1 Like

There’s plenty

Living in Louisville, seeing the Rachel’s isn’t that unheard :eyes:

1 Like

I think there’s loads of great artists these days, a few faves of mine from the last decade are Princess Chelsea, I break horses, I Like Trains, Aldous Harding, Fazerdaze, widowspeak, Beach House, Still Corners, The Bernard Lakes, Toy…

Perhaps we should have a new thread for that purpose. :slight_smile:

2 great YouTube channels to follow are KEXP (radio live sessions) and David Dean Burkhart who showcase a lot of under the radar bands/releases. KEXP recently went to Argentina for a few weeks and did daily sessions which was interesting. Really liked Fin Del Mundo & Riel.

1 Like

Sweet - Helmet/Quicksand/Caspar Brötzmann’s Massaker was my first show :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Quicksand is that rare band in the zone that really holds up I think.

2 Likes

I really like SGM!

1 Like

Was just watching “Meet Me In the Bathroom” and it made me miss the early 00’s electronic “rock” bands of that era. Some good times for music which I think was partially influenced by Elektron instruments (the knife, in rainbows era Radiohead and eraser era thom yorke, etc)

I’d like to see a documentary on the gear of that era. The sp404 with animal collective, dl4 with tv on the radio & minus the bear, all of them used a microkorg, and then I guess more intereting is the post 2010 octatrack guys like Andy stott and Jacques Greene.

I wish Reverb would do “Pedal Movie” style doc with synths, drum machines, and samplers

Sorry got off track

I guess you must know Idiot Flesh then, if not, here they are making a sweet cover of The Residents :

I knew them with Music for Egon Schiele, same year i found Discovolante by Mr.Bungle.
Two Records/Bands that changed my life real hard.

Their latest stuff crazily is damn good too

Someone once said to me that was the meaning of the band name Sonic Youth

Doesn’t matter hold you are, doing music makes you young

Download. Their entire catalogue is amazing but the album The Eyes of Stanley Pain is a standout…

Scorn. Of course Mick Harris/Scorn is still around (he just released a DT sound pack) but this album from 94 was such a breakthrough and part of my sleep routine that whole summer.

Haujobb. Early 2000s release here but their first album in the late 90s came with a sample CD of all the album’s one shot sounds!

6 Likes

Not sure I’ve heard of them. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Therapy meets Swans meets Neurosis? Excellent band whose career was cut short by the death of their bass player while finishing their second album, which was then released with no promotion or live shows. Band ended there.

90s is full of these “forgotten” bands, as it was truly the decade of rock and band music. So much good stuff, and most of the bands worth anything also got to record an album, even if a small pressing and forgotten now.

4 Likes

Wish I could forget…

1 Like

Replace that memory with some Biscuit…