Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

Also Pram - especially Sargasso Sea:

and Cranes - especially Loved with it’s gloriously recorded drums!

5 Likes

Indeed.

1 Like

Gastr del Sol was pretty great too! :heart: Love all their albums, but the last one (with Marcus Popp = Oval) was especially magical.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I got into Electronic music WAY late.
I was way too into psychedelic rock in my 20s.
I missed so much, it’s super fun to catch up though.

Gerard became a friend of mine long after he put this stuff out.
Being a huge fan of Rhythm &Sound, it always blew my mind Convextion came out right under my nose and I didn’t find out about it till waaaay later

Nothing else really sounds like Pram!

Has anyone mentioned the Pale Saints?

2 Likes

Legendary battle.
I love this video, it showcases each DJ’s style so well and they are all really going for it.

Not yet, good one though!

3 Likes

Nobody has done the UK crusty scene, so here’s a few bands that dominated my speakers back then.

4 Likes

I love their 90s output more than their 80s. Washing Machine is the ultimate SY record for me. Hoarfrost on 1000 leaves always gets me…

4 Likes

Broadcast - ‘Come On Let’s Go’

Taken from one of my favourite album of all time “The Noise Made By People”.

7 Likes

Most of their 80s -90s have been my favorites at some point.
1st Goo, then Sister, then Dirty, then Washing Machine.
Nowadays it’s Daydream Nation, that remains my favorite.
Sits right inbetween the early stuff then later.
Like they are just starting to figure it out.
That albums song order is so good.
They really rocked it live too.

2 Likes

Come. Underrated guitar band.

5 Likes

In the 80s I was a fan, but it was the 90s albums that really won me over. They’re a band that’s hard to have faves because of the diversity of the music & the mood you’re in, but I often tend to gravitate towards Kim Gordon’s songs more than anyone else, but the loose jams like wildflower or rain on tin are the moments that really get me. Those times are so uniquely sonic youth & I think Kim Gordon giving up bass & moving to 3rd guitar really added a new element to the sound.

I could live in this song forever, it’s absolute bliss

4 Likes

Haha, seeing all the videos and not knowing most of the names I see there, shows up, how deep I was buried in the Metal- and Goa-Bubble back in the days :stuck_out_tongue:

Weekend Players - Pursuit of Happiness. Man that whole album was great. I was hoping for a follow up which never happened. It was a temporary duo of Rachel Foster and Andy Cato, 1/2 of Groove Armada. I was first introduced to Rachel on Bent’s work which is another great duo from this time period.

and one other favorite from Chris Brann aka Ananda Project, Wamdue Project, Wamdue Kids, and P’Taah

Kool Keith is the man… Dr dooom 1 and 2 are always on my playlist…

I’m also a huge UK Hip Hop fan, these guys were super influential at the time and million Dan is still active I think…

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL34Y5stwz6TE6CcHt96Xktzs-28qr8KMV

2 Likes

The Nubiles, Without Waking, 1995.

Kool Keith / Dr Octagon / Dr Dooom actually gets discussed pretty frequently in the modern era…in places like /mu/ at least.

4 Likes