Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

Barkmarket is the band for me - still one of my favourites. Gimmick is probably my favourite album, but L.Ron is also a banger and has hands down the best overall guitar sound over ever heard on an album.

I think they got pigeonholed by some dodgy videos, but honestly the songs keep giving and really reward repeat listening, are hard to classify, and are full of these great moments that happen just once in a track.

Yeah l.ron is great. The dude is such a great engineer

1 Like

Yeah, Sardy went in to produce/mix some pretty diverse stuff.

1 Like

I submit this absolute F’n gem

4 Likes

Oh Hella!
Related: I love the Advantage, some of their member’s side project playing mostly NES game music.

But I’m here to post Filter.
The album Title of Record has been stuck in a corner of my brain for a long time. Right time, right place kind of thing.

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Has Movietone or Flying Saucer Attack been mentioned?

2 Likes

Lush

The For Carnation

Sunny Day Real Estate

5 Likes

I loved Sunny Day Real Estate soooo much. Recently found some photos I took at a really small show when I was still in high school.

Does anyone remember Loveliescrushing? This album is still a sort of landmark to me…

3 Likes

Lush were fantastic! “Love at First Sight” still is one of my favourites.

Gavin Clark. Fantastic singer-songwriter, gone way too soon:

Gomez - one the most under-rated bands.

2 Likes

Always a joy to find someone who loves For Carnation. Definitely underrated,

4 Likes

And that reminds of Karate. Fucking awesome band. I’m really happy that Numero Group decided to put out a few of their albums. Karate - There Are Ghosts - YouTube

1 Like

I was playing music some with Todd Cook and hanging out more when they were tracking this album. Hearing early mixes - oof, just a magical album :hugs: Perfect encapsulation of his bass playing too. :fist:

1 Like

I loved this record when it came out. It sounds like heavy rock meets Dead Can Dance. The album showed me how wonderful sampling and traditional music are.

3 Likes

Whale are Great!

1 Like

Fun fact: Original line up of Foo Fighters was 50% of Sunny Day Real Estate. Great band yeah, Foo Fighters not so much…

1 Like
1 Like