Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

Yes! For Carnation! Such a great band! :heart:

2 Likes

The real fun fact is the fact that they boycotted playing in California most of the time they were together.

2 Likes

Thomas Dolby seemed to do for Steven McQueen what Tod Rundgren did for Skylarking.

2 Likes

Thank you for reminding me of this!

A lot the bands on this thread are either pretty well known to me, or completely unknown. This one had just slipped my mind for a long time now

You’re welcome. The songwriting and vocals on this record are great.

1 Like

Salad
Prolapse
Slint
Sleater Kinny
Shellac
JoeyFat
Scarfo
John Spencer Blues Explosion

The list is fucking long

3 Likes

Is it me or does this Blue Nile song sound heavily influenced by this YMO tune?

1 Like

Siverfish - loved this band. Noisy bastards, only lasted to 1993. Saw them a couple of times and they were great.

2 Likes

Same. The live shows made me buy all the records but the studio stuff didn’t really live up to it

Does anyone remember this indie rock band in the late 90s or early 00s which had this MTV video on heavy rotation of them performing with lightening striking around them? I’ve been looking for it for years…drives me nuts.

I was just wondering last night if Gen Z will ever rediscover The Faint.

“Agenda Suicide”, “Glass Danse”, and “Desperate Guys” are such good jams. They were my favorite from the whole dance-punk era.

4 Likes

It took some time to recall these names. So 90’s!

I think the intro in this one stuck into my mind as a reference in my first PC music attempts along with the Chemical Brothers etc (why this track was not this way all along? :smiley: )

2 Likes

Finally an example of Kurzweil technology in sound!

1 Like

Republica were nice but peak Saffron was N-Joi’s blinding live PAs

2 Likes

I was at that show! I believe. Rubber Gloves?

1 Like

Oh my god! They did ready to go! I thought they sounded familiar.

Daydream Nation is still my #1.

Interesting thread. Some of the bands listed here aren’t obscure at all to me, and some I’ve absolutely never heard of and need to look into further.
I’ll submit some lesser-known favorites:

Babyland. Absolutely killer live, and their cover of “Pink Frost” is still amazing to me.

There was a strange subgenre of rock emerging in the early 90’s that I don’t know was ever given a proper name- maybe Grindcore?- that had linear, almost tribal drums, heavy bass riffage and very un-metal guitar. Unsane was one example… Gern Blanston was a local band in Portland doing something similar (only released one album, sadly)

Cranes was mentioned earlier, but “Wings of Joy” was their absolute masterpiece. Top 10 record for me still today.

The incredible Daisy Chainsaw was also mentioned, but KatieJane Garside later fronted Queen Adreena, Ruby Throat and her own solo work. I adore her to death.

Some of my favorite Industrial/EBM tracks of the early 90’s were side projects/collaborations of WaxTrax, Netwerk, and TVT bands that would only put out one or two releases, and some were awesome.

2 Likes