Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

Good one. It had a wild Michel Gondry directed video. Unfortunately not on YouTube as far as I know.

1 Like

It’s on Vimeo but the quality is shit.

1 Like

My old band Crash Worship definitely qualifies. Some of the most transformative experiences of my life. Nothing else like it! We rocked a Moog Liberation that constantly had to be in the shop because our shows were so insane. Crash Worship - Live 95 (1&2) - YouTube

4 Likes

It was EPIC

1 Like

Woah!?! You were in Crash Worship!?! I bought one of their cds (the one with the see through booklet) in a discount bin as a teenager and my life was never the same again.

Just maybe a month ago I thought about that cd but couldn’t remember even the band name and went on a google binge searching and finally finding the right band and some live videos. Amazing, groundbreaking stuff!

4 Likes

would love new tunes from Sunscreem, Opus III, and Way Out West. all killer, no filler

1 Like

There was a strange subgenre of rock emerging in the early 90’s that I don’t know was ever given a proper name- maybe Grindcore?- that had linear, almost tribal drums, heavy bass riffage and very un-metal guitar. Unsane was one example… Gern Blanston was a local band in Portland doing something similar (only released one album, sadly)

I had some suspicion and googling/discogsing proved it - it was a next stage of american industrial or noise rock derived from earlier no-wave. One member of Unsane previously played in Swans, nuff said.

A lot of new data, thanks!

2 Likes

The drummer from Unsane also played with Foetus/Jim Thirwell :metal:

There was definitely a lot of overlap with earlier noise bands like Big Black, Godflesh, Pitchshifter and others, except these 90’s bands had real drummers that played in a very linear, drum machine-like way (at least to my ear…)

2 Likes

The Crash Worship - just wow, how could I’ve missed them/you (also on Cold Spring, Chtulhu Records, what a shame to not pay attention)

3 Likes

Yo I fucking love crash worship. Maybe obscure but definitely not forgotten. I’m FB friends with one of the members, I wonder if it’s you? (Initials R.J.)

1 Like

I remember a band of the 90 pretending to be rock, actually they were funny comedians:

No that is someone who played with us for a bit. Never on any of the recordings tho. I’m Dreiky :). Owner of Elektrons (collect them all!) and rocking the drums still.

2 Likes

It was fun as hell. I think we’d be arrested now if we performed live. lol

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yep…
I’ve seen a fair amount of great bands live back in the days, but UDS will always stays as one of the most intense, crazy and joyful experience.
They’re bacsically the soundtrack of my 90s…

There is also this obvious badass band who share this high level of energy and, sadly, the lack of recognition and praise they deserve.
If i could live again one day in my life, i would choose without hesitation the first time i saw them :

4 Likes

I’ve gone through all of these now. A few standouts:

Dark Star
18th Dye
Autolux
Hanadensha
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Space Needle
Bardo Pond
Junior Boys
Papa Sprain
Crash Worship

Need to look into all of these further.

A few other submissions-

Scala: this project blew me away when I first heard them. Really inventive production, clever sample references and haunting vocals.

Melt Banana: I don’t know how “forgotten” these guys are as they are still putting out records and touring but still fringe enough that I bet 99% of people haven’t heard of them.

Praxis: a true supergroup featuring Bill Laswell, Buckethead, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, John Zorn and others. Totally out there.

2 Likes

100 points for Praxis.

My cousin brought the cd Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) to our home when we were something like 15-16 years old. It didn’t instantly click back then, but after years, I remembered that album and had to get my hands on it again. Great album and also the starting point for my unhealthy Bill Laswell -obsession. Now I buy everything and anything that has his name on it.

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned the 90s prince of of power pop Matthew Sweet?

1 Like

Some random bands I remember (FWIW etc etc. I can’t say I listen to much 90s guitar music these days because a lot of it is fuckin’ miserable :frowning: )

Ned’s Atomic Dustbin were a lot of fun (especially live, they’re toured Melbourne once)

Jane’s addiction kinda fizzled out pretty quickly after a few albums but what a few albums!

The Lemonheads were a thing once :wink: