Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

never forgotten…still cranking.

1 Like

thank you to @onthebannedwagon , you got me to remember stuff. some of these bands I could hear the music, but couldn’t remember the names, then it would pop back! GOOD brain exercise…

1 Like

A couple of these might be more notable elsewhere in the world, but I haven’t heard anyone in the US bring these bands up in years.

Salt:

Southern Culture On The Skids:

Paw:

Drivin’ N’ Cryin’:

Didjits:

Hammerbox:

Life Sex & Death:

Therapy?:

Renegade Soundwave:

K’s Choice:

Cracker:

5 Likes

forgot Systems Officer…

i mean its all QUITE similar :slight_smile:

1 Like

Two decades of vaguely underground music? Long thread, bring snacks

3 Likes
3 Likes

This whole thread is like the innards of my cd collection. And the ones I don’t have, are on my wantlist.

I spent my youth in the nineties and therefore my fondest memories are from that period. Now that I’m a grown up I’ve begun to buy back all the amazing stuff that I used to love back then.

Thought Industry, what an amazing group.

16 Horsepower - the predecessors of Wovenhand and basically forefathers of alt country

Jellyfish - ”The 90s Beatles” pure 100% genius all the way

That Dog

And so on. Keep on posting, i can’t wait to wake up in the morning and see all the great stuff.

4 Likes

im gonna stop here.

1 Like

Sad story.

This band should have been huge. They stood out well above their peers, got two peel sessions and were generally set for taking over the world. But they only ever got two EPs out. They were super unlucky. They had their van nicked with all their gear in it not long before they were due to start recording, then they just sort of stumbled as a band. Their singer killed himself a couple of years later, but I’ll never forget the first time I heard Injured birds on John Peel. Some clever bastard has helpfully put it on YouTube, so you can all enjoy it with me.

2 Likes

Rachel Grimes recently released music on this all-female composers collaborative album on Nonesuch: Rachel Grimes: The Blue Hour: No. 2, Opening - YouTube

2 Likes

wow I love this thread - here’s a few sleeper favorites I’ve run into - for the love:

looking forward to mining all the good here

4 Likes

Totally - I first saw them opening for Damo Suzuki at the Kosmische Club (which for full disclosure I ended up DJing at) at The Garage in London and was absolutely brain-fried by them.

Pretty much everything they do in their three million bands is great, and a highlight was when they released the Pharaoh Overlord album called Circle and a Circle album called Pharaoh Overlord. That and renting out the band name Circle to a completely different group for a year.

1 Like

Crate diggers in the 2040s will be all over these.

One of the first things I’d do if I had a time machine is leap forward a few decades and understand the current music and what is seen as cool from the retro back catalogue

(before stealing a few songs and returning to present day of course)

3 Likes

Miljard is one of the most peaceful rockish albums I know.

Also the Circle collab album with Verde - Tower - is fantastic. (I think its the same circle?)

1 Like

Yep, that’s them too.

1 Like

One of my favorite albums (via Napster) from the early 00s was Bloc Party’s debut and the remix album of it. I think it really stands the test of time. The drummer is especially sick on this one:

3 Likes

so good to see this one - this is an ALBUM - I still can’t believe how each track just keeps getting better the further into the album you get. I always put this on along with Duster’s Stratosphere.

Great thread!

Not forgotten, but coincidentally I listened to this deliciously 90s track for the first time last night Sonic Youth - Sunday - YouTube

2 Likes