Off-topic chat about fun in Germany

…i call it my studio box indeed…yup…but not like that…it’s actually quite bigger and a real studio place with a classic dead end / wet end concept, heaps of too much gear and what not…
gosh, i’m such a pointless sugar ass…
while hardly missing a muse…

3 Likes

Loved Berlin when I visited. US fella here who was in the quiet country of Sweden and visiting Berlin was sort of a cultural relief to me since everyone is more open.

Went to Superbooth for my birthday last year, had a pretzel, awkwardly stood around and made noises with everything, got lost in the park.

Also,

I saw 3 men dancing to techno on a train, and to me that was the most German thing I saw.

Walked around so many places, 3 days i walked 15 miles every day annd used a lot of public transportation. Stumbled upon the Mauerpark flea market by accident. I’ve always loved history, and seeing all old folk art, east & west items, photos, media, etc overwhelmed me with joy. Also found a copy of Rain Dogs just sitting in the sun, which hurt my heart. It’s a pricey album to get here in the states.

I could say every little thing I did and what I enjoyed about it, but I just visited a very small area of the country. I Would love to visit other cities though and check out Bayreuth (Eckersdorf) since my surname comes from there.

4 Likes

…bayreuth is not berlin…can tell u that…

2 Likes

a walk down memory lane is ok sometimes

1 Like

Oh wow, I didn’t know you could rent cabins in those old “Ferienlager” places. When doing my apprenticeship we once had a class trip to one of those camps south of Berlin, just outside of Königs Wusterhausen, and I distinctly remember the atmosphere - waking up early, sitting at the lake with coffee and cigarettes … oh wow, I’m a bit envious now :smiley:

1 Like

I live in oberursel. Basically north frankfurt. One of the richest population density… and me…

One German breakfast that is often overlooked is bauernfrühstück. Cook diced potatoes, mix with ham and eggs, then shove it into the oven. Yummy

3 Likes

I had to change planes in Munich after one of the avant-garde festivals once - we sat on the plane for a while and then got bussed off to a replacement because the toilet had exploded.

Presumably not related to the above incident though.

Nope, none of the above for me - but the breakfasts involved lots of black bread and cheese and pickles, I think. Becks were sponsoring the festival on one occasion, so there was a lot of that about too.

3 Likes

Im understanding of what it is, I’m pretty resourceful and have a good nugget of brain reserved for global geography and anthropology. I’ve done tons of google map goodness about where to go, reached out to some people there, and eckersdorf was just for the sake of going back as far as my name does through historical documents.

I grew up in a tiny tiny town. Where a lot of German ancestry took root., small German villages kind of look familiar, they remind me of the villages throughout the counties I grew up in.

1 Like

I love Berlin. Fantastic art, music, and vegan food. I could totally imagine living there.

As the Bauhaus movement has some of it’s roots in Berlin (after having moved from Weimar) it seems arts and culture have stayed a part of the Berlin tradition.

I am surprised my favorite city isn’t getting a mention:

4 Likes

been in germany couple of times, spent a week or so in Berlin and the other time when I was cycling from Vienna to Frankfurt, really loved Bavaria, the beer is soo goood, I was bikepacking with a friend and we were stumbling upon a beergarden, drinking 3L of finest freshest beer and then trying to cycle on our heavy bikes to the nearest camping site lol.
Bavaria is beautiful!

3 Likes

yes sir, southern Germany is beautiful when it’s not snowing… I got pneumonia in Bavaria lol :grinning:

that dunkelbrau is crazy, I’ve never had dark beer like that ever again.

3 Likes

It’s a shame the Berlin senate doesn’t agree, and the one we’ll be getting after the recent election will probably stifle it even more.

1 Like

the pneumonia? :smiley:

Love Hamburg! My second favourite city, right after Leipzig. It’s just sooooooo expensive to live there.

2 Likes

The arts! Though I’m pretty sure some artists will get to know pneumonia come next winter, when they can’t afford the ridiculous rent for their unheated backyard “studio” apartments.

1 Like

haha oh the pain of art

1 Like

The only big city in Germany that I got to visit, if only for about an hour while changing trains - the eternal problem of travelling for gigs - I hear it’s a lot of fun.

Oh, so you’ve got to witness first hand the classical music festival the Hamburg senate puts on for its homeless people and junkies in the surrounding area of Hamburg main station :heart_eyes: