Ricky 'Overbridge' Tinez

I like Ricky, he get lost and confused in menus at times in his videos, very real and human

12 Likes

heā€™s the only guy doing this thing on YouTube I can watch/listen to anymore.

7 Likes

In addition to watching his clips put him on in the background while Iā€™m studying, itā€™s a good match

1 Like

I have no issue with this video, in fact I love it. If you want to get out of the box you donā€™t need a room full of gear. I think that is the point. He is not saying you specifically just need these 3 pieces of gear.

But what I love is he is showing the workflow with a bit of a more niche drum machine than a TR8Sā€¦etc.

He also is showing how powerful the Octatrack is. For me personally I can do a similar setup down w/ my OT, analogue 4 and Minitaur.

The OT is insanely powerful for driving a DAWless setup. just another level, imo.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the vid.

I do like how he suggests alternatives to the Pro 3, Tempest, and Octatrack; as well as admitting that if you canā€™t afford an OT, youā€™ll need multiple devices to replace what it does - just depends on what OT functions you want.

The Tempest, he says, is replaceable by any drum machine, for the purposes of the video.

The Pro 3 he says can be replaced by a MicroKorg, low-cost Novation, maybe even Modal Skulpt - again for the purposes of the video

6 Likes

Wait. Is that J. J. Abramsā€™s Tempest?

1 Like

I dig his visual style and honestly his lo-fi minimal house is totally cool. Heā€™s a gear head with style.

9 Likes

Ricky is an inspiration. Iā€™ve watched and rewatched many of his videos, especially his live setup ones. He does a good job of showing off the possibilities of different gear and techniques. Chill delivery style, good production value, useful infoā€¦ whatā€™s not to like?

12 Likes

Ricky seems a sincere guy and no off topic fluff like some others for example Messy Desk who has useful tips but is a bit OTT in the comical stakes.

My favourite is prob a Ukranian guy called Ihor. Not sure if he is a member here but his videos are slick like Rickys but makes dark techno and has some nice info.

8 Likes

Ricky is the goat of synth YouTubersā€¦. Just his lighting alone makes watching a treat.

6 Likes
5 Likes

And now apparently working for Elektron now - guessing to be the new official demo guy? (disclosed around 00:30 in this video)

10 Likes
1 Like

Maybe itā€™s just me but his personality seems a little missing from this video - although itā€™s very short. Doesnā€™t feel very Ricky, could kinda be anyone.

That French House video is great btw @yeshuah watched it last week - gave me some inspiration :v:

1 Like

Yeah, I think it is hard to gauge from a one-minute video, although, it does sort of feel similar to some of his Novation tutorial videos. Itā€™s also a different format. These types of videos for Elektron will probably be more to the point and scripted, whereas his own videos feel more like explorations. But hey, maybe Elektron will give him some longer-format, less-scripted stuff.

2 Likes

Ah Iā€™ve not seen those actually.

He did introduce himself as Enrique, maybe Enrique has a different vibe. Business Ricky.

11 Likes

I just hope he has a voice at Elektron and can get samplers like the Rytm some much needed updates. He could be a really good thing for the brand - more house, less of a techno vibe.

BTW, I love techno, I just think Elektron gets unjustly pigeonholed sometimes into the genre.

2 Likes

Iā€™m fairly sure I remember him once talking about 3 personas ā€¦ canā€™t remember the third one though (maybe itā€™s a secret :slight_smile: )

EDIT: Actually ā€˜personasā€™ might not be the right word. ā€˜Identitiesā€™ maybe.

3 Likes

Maybe he turns his hat, like Stallone in that arm wrestling movie.

8 Likes

elektron is not techno at all the most music in the official demos is really weird plink plonk stuff

1 Like