Ricky 'Overbridge' Tinez

Sure, but it was never targeted as a toy or a cheap piece of gear… not sure I understand your original comment, that’s all.

1 Like

I agree, toy is not the right word… sorry. I meant it was cheap and people who bought second hand 303s in the middle '80 where mostly young and had not so much money to spend.

2 Likes

I think it was merely a discovery that small “cheap” and unique synths sell well (monotron, monotribe). Only after that more sophisticated machines came to market (the first three volcas) and that went well, too, despite or because of the inherent limitations and flaws (like the “forgotten capacitor” in the volca beats). And now it’s a genre. Kind of collect them all (like Seiko watches). Each machine is affordable. All of them together are pretty expensive.

The other aspect is that re-issues work well in themselves, in principal. The originals have already proven that there is something special about them (although it took 3rd parties decades to find out that’s the sequencer of the 303 that makes it specially special).

All tech stuff is insanely cheap today, compared to the 90s and 80s. And 70s but that was before me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you compare that price to other synths at the time, it was in the low end. And i think the price was dumped to 150 or 200 after one year because of lack of sales.

True! I do appreciate today’s affordability of electronic music!!! Never in history it was so easy and cheap to produce music and to share it with other people. Cheap synths, social media, youtube and so on are spreading creativity and giving possibilities never seen. We are living in a world really filled by electronic music. Of course, there are pros and cons. All of us knows the cons… but I want to be optimistic and enjoy all the good is given.

1 Like

I was unaware that OB worked on Windows and not so well on Macs. my studio machine is an iMac from 2009 and won’t run OB regardless, so I haven’t kept up with its status. class compliant USB audio works great though. I’ve got various aggregate devices setup, which I can choose based on what I’m working with: RME + Heat, RME + Heat + RYTM, RME + Digitone, RME + Digitone + Heat + Cycles + Rytm, etc…

again this machine is over a decade old and this all works flawlessly. I don’t really mind lack of OB because I don’t mind touching these machines to get them to sound how I want to.

The whole attitude here towards those thumbnails as “hate them but they are needed if you want views”… :roll_eyes:

Or attributing it to “young minds”. Yeah, no. I don’t believe young ones are dumb by default. There’s dumb in all ages.

Maybe that kind of strategy works in gossip channels but on music related stuff? We are better than that.

Ricky Tinez has decent thumbnails, it works for him, he gets the views without them. Then why does people think they are needed in order to get views? Perhaps the content isn’t good enough so they need to succumb to weak marketing strategies.

Whomever flagged my post: I stand by my words. It is objectively the truth.

4 Likes

This thread’s opened up some strong feelings about YouTube thumbnails…

:joy:

15 Likes

I was similarly horrified by the videos for the MPC Live/X/One. A bunch of dumb faces gurning away holding the piece of kit like a child on Christmas morning with dumb language like ‘GOAT’ and a bunch of shocked/fire emojis. Again, lowest common denominator stuff. Which is a shame because the MPCs and the latest Maschines are such powerful and versatile pieces of kit but finding a mature review is damn near impossible.

8 Likes

I think of myself as a bit of an old fuddy duddy but I like zany thumbnails, so maybe I’m quite cool after all.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because of previous clicks but this is what a search for MPC Live looks like for me:

4 Likes

perhaps the algorithim has you as gurn free.

4 Likes

There has to be an acid house documentary called this somewhere.

10 Likes

Yeah I agree. I also think it shows the blessing/curse of being a YT synth person. You are constantly getting gear to show on your channel, and you need to create weekly content. That takes a ton of time away from stuff like learning the gear completely that you have. I think this is something we see when watching him, he clearly knows his stuff but he constantly has to shelve a piece of gear that he loves so he can feature something else.

He probably makes a lot more from his channel than he would as a full time music producer so it evens out. But its a ton of work plus a day job, having a life…etc. Personally it would be too overwhelming to me to constantly have new gear to try and learn and then go make tracks. I’m glad there are people like him doing it though.

4 Likes

interesting point… I wonder what someone like him makes anyway.

I have no idea, but that bobeats guy has less followers and quit his job to be a full time youtuber, so I imagine Ricky probably does alright.

well and he lives in LA, right? not exactly the cheapest place to live.

I mean, sober raves can be fun, moderation in moderation and all that :wink:

Ricky Tinez’s vids are great because they present gear in a realistic way. Sure, he could have edited out his struggles with Overbridge for this video, but then it wouldn’t have reflected the experience of most Mac users.

I appreciate getting the real deal on gear rather than an extension of the manufacturer’s marketing department.

9 Likes

I mean there’s some gulf of difference between marketing PR fluff and someone missing something critical to proper use and being more confused than me.

I don’t need to experience “realistic frustrations” in realtime to use my gear, I get enough of that i can’t route around and seek to avoid the unnecessary problems of others.

Watching people flub out with gear isn’t my ideal parasocial relationship :smiley: